Help Emergency - Betta Acting Weird

LagerthaM

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My Betta Cosmo is acting really weird and I don't know what's wrong. About 5 minutes ago he dropped to the bottom of his tank and I thought he was dead. I took him out to see if I could tell what might have caused it and he moved a little so I put him back in his tank. I have no idea what caused this but he seems to be alive. Now he is just floating at the top with his mouth close to the surface like he is having a hard time floating. He did it again while I was typing this out. He moves his body side to side but doesn't move his fins and it looks almost like he is paralyzed. What should I do?

Tank parameters:
2.5 gallon (he was in a 5, but he had a hard time swimming so I switched him about a week ago.

Heated to 78, filtered

pH: 7
I can't find my nitrate and nitrites kit but I will post when I find it.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd do a big water change right away. Make sure you match the temperature and use conditioner for the replacement water. Maybe 50% now and 50% tomorrow if you're still having problems? There's a high probability there's something not right with your water so getting a test kit would be really good idea.

I always go to water changes first whenever I see a problem in my tanks. In small tanks like yours, it's much more difficult to maintain water consistency. That's another good reason to test frequently.

Edit: I read your post again and saw that you moved the fish from a 5G to a 2.5G a week ago. My question is whether the 2.5 was cycled. One week is about how long it would take for a tank to build up toxins to a dangerous level if the tank was not cycled. As in most cases, being aggressive with water changes (within reason) is the best remedy if that is the problem.

OP
LagerthaM

LagerthaM

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I
GuppyDazzle said:
I'd do a big water change right away. Make sure you match the temperature and use conditioner for the replacement water. Maybe 50% now and 50% tomorrow if you're still having problems? There's a high probability there's something not right with your water so getting a test kit would be really good idea.

I always go to water changes first whenever I see a problem in my tanks. In small tanks like yours, it's much more difficult to maintain water consistency. That's another good reason to test frequently.
I Have a test kit, I just don't have it all together, this blindsided me so I wasn't at all prepared and organized I can't find my nitrate and nitrite testers. I have a liquid test kit and I moved some test vile thingys around from their usual spot and now I can't find them. I did 50% just now and he doesn't seem any better, he is on his side at the bottom of the tank but moves a tiny bit when I touch him. He has had issues with his spine and tail, maybe that is a factor in what's causing this? I bought him from PetCo (safe to assume crappy genetics for him) because he wasn't doing so hot in his cup. He was doing great until now. I had him in a five gallon until last week when it looked like he was having a hard time swimming, his fins are huge and his body is small. I moved him to a smaller tank to see if that would help, it didn't but I thought it would be easier for him to eat and function if he didn't have to swim as much. His spine looks twisted, maybe he has some kind of health problem that's also effecting his swim bladder?

GuppyDazzle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It doesn't sound good. It might hot hurt to turn off the lights and check on him in the morning. You've done water changes. Maybe peace and quiet is what he needs now.

New Threads