Emergency apartment flooded, how to save fish?

Nutmeg613

hi! my apartment flooded and i had 30 minutes to get everyone out including the fish. so they’re in travel carriers. obviously this is not ideal.

how can i help them best? it’s for four days that they won’t have access to any of their proper tank set up.

i’m thinking partial daily water changes to combat the fish waste?
image.jpg

StarGirl

Yes daily water changes will help most. Temp match as close as you can. Do you have the ability to get some air stones?

Upvote 0

BabsandLoon

Definitely daily water changes. Everyone should be fine. I've had to do the critter keeper thing during moves and everyone survived just fine for a few days until I was able to get tanks set up.

Upvote 0

Nutmeg613

Yes daily water changes will help most. Temp match as close as you can. Do you have the ability to get some air stones?
if they’re cheap and don’t need to be plugged in anywhere i can. we don’t have a lot of funds right now, and i’m in a hotel with not a lot of outlets

Upvote 0

StarGirl

if they’re cheap and don’t need to be plugged in anywhere i can. we don’t have a lot of funds right now, and i’m in a hotel with not a lot of outlets
I've seen battery operated pumps but I don't know how cheap they are. There are USB ones too. I'm sure water changes will get you through.

Upvote 0

Anixandria

Oh gosh! This post is kind of a wake up call for me. I don’t have anything but a few water change buckets I could keep my fish in during an emergency! Time for me to go to the store I guess. Good luck with your babies!!

Upvote 0

BabsandLoon

I have two small critter keepers (1/2 gallon size), one large storage bin, and one medium size storage bin on hand. I also have sponge filters, air stones, and an extra heater and air pump.
I store fish supplies in the large storage bin when not in use so it isn't just wasting space. I keep the water changer in there, the critter keepers, and all the "extras". The medium one I just keep extra artificial plants/decorations/etc in.
They are handy not just in case of emergency and moving, but the storage bins make great quarantine tanks! They are lightweight and easy to move around, they are larger than a 10g tank, they are easy to clean, and they keep from setting them up as a permanent home for something. LOL

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

Frequent water changes will be best, basically just fish in a fishbowl. Probably not going to be able to do the air stones from what it sounds like. I have often kept fish in 5 gallon home depot buckets with an air stone/sponge filter no problem while doing deep cleans or moving. 1-2 USB air pumps are always good to have for emergency, cost about 10 dollars and can easily run 1-2 sponge filters or air stones.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PlanetRock
Replies
Views
Coradee
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420