[Emergency] Angelfish lost appetite and does not swim to the top of the surface anymore.

• Thread starter AgusPivi
  • Start date

AgusPivi

Hello everyone,

My name is Agustín, I'm an Angelfish owner called Piper(only one, female and adult) in a 30 gallons tank. I have an emergency related to her, so without further ado, I've completed the emergency template.

I do hope you can advice me for her sake and my family's (we love her).

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 30 gallons - 120 litres (it isn't brimming with water though, a bit less maybe)
How long has the tank been running? A year and half
Does it have a filter? Yes (carbon filter + bubbler 2-in-1)
Does it have a heater? Yes (fit to the tank's size)
What is the water temperature? 26°C/27°C - 79°F/81°F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (1) Adult golden Angelfish (8cms long)

Maintenance

How often do you change the water? (Every 2 months)
How much of the water do you change? (Nearly half)
What do you use to treat your water? (Methlyene Blue)
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? (Substrate and consequently large portion of water)

*Parameters - Very Important

Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? (No)
What do you use to test the water? (Ph strips and ammonia circular plunger attached to the window)
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”. (pH= 6.2, ammonia 0.03ppm)

Ammonia: 0.02 ppm
Nitrite: unknown (I'm currently looking for a master test kit)
Nitrate: (same as nitrite, looking for a master test kit)
pH: 6.2

Feeding

How often do you feed your fish? Once every two days
How much do you feed your fish? Enough so that she finishes it ALL (no leftovers) in less than a minute (approx. half a teaspoon). Bubbler is always turned down so that no flakes go astray to the bottom due to being unnoticed by the fish.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetramin flakes (tropical)
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No, but recently due to recurrent constipation have been feeding previously-boiled-and-peeled peas

Illness & Symptoms

How long have you had this fish? A year and a half now
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? A week ago, worsening yesterday
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Constant mouth breathing, seemingly not swimming to the top of the surface (yet no sign of either fin rot (have had other fish die from it) nor dropsy (no pineconed scales, experienced betta dying from it too).
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Poured three teaspoons of methylene blue to prevent any potential bacterial infections due to passive behaviour and breathing, but before, as I said earlier, I began feeding with peas back when constipation was my only concern.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Her stomach did seem a bit less bloated after being able to defecate big brown feces (they were hanging from her anus for half a day until they dropped, which did left her anus a bit strecthed). But now, she's a bit more scared of us, she stands near the bottom, doesn't appear to have interest in food-time (she would wave at the flakes-imagery container of the food, acknowledging it was her time to eat), she would play hide and seek through a wall divider with me, now she's not.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now) I'm new to the forums, I do apologise in advance if I missed some forum rules. I'm sick of seeing my fish die due to the inability of most of the vets around my city and the impracticality of having to travel miles to go to an aquarium shop. I've tried messaging instagram aquariums saying I would pay for a consultation yet no feedback was sent back. Back to my fish: she's an healthy adult angelfish, which when faced with constipation, was put into fastening for two days, then fed, then two days, until the bloating in her stomach ceased. This time, the bloating did resolve a bit into her being able to defecate brown feces. But still, now she seems to have agitated breathing, no interest in food, and doesn't seem to go to the surface of the water like she sometimes used to. I've checked parameters, but I have to test for nitrites and nitrates (I'm expecting a master kit to arrive soon). I've treated the whole tank with three small caps of methylene blue in fear from potential infections related to her bloating, possibly jeopardizing her swim bladder. Should I do water changes? Should I buy any antibiotics in particular? I will keep up to this thread with the nitrate and nitrite measurements, but I really don't want her to die, I'm trying to help her as early as I can.

------>Please see the video I've attached for further visual confirmation. Sorry for the bad video quality, my phone had died and I had to use my mom's camera.

Thank you guys a lot!

Piper_angelfish_gif_im.gif
Her name is Piper!

Mine's Agustín (call me Austin if it's easier :) )

Fishproblem

Well Known
Hello Agustín! It sounds like Piper may be struggling due to water quality. Your ammonia is reasonably low, but there is a strong chance that with the water change schedule you've been adhering to, you have an overabundance of nitrates in the water.

The best thing you can do in this moment is a large water change. Be sure that the water you add to the tank is the same temperature as the tank water, and has been treated with a water conditioner to remove chlorine and chloramine.

Because we don't know what your nitrate levels are, you want to change a lot of the water while avoiding the potential for shock. So, instead of one large 75% change, remove 25% of the water and slowly add new water to fill the tank. Repeat the process three or four more times, over the course of 3-4 hours. This will make sure the water is clean, without making Piper suffer the additional stress of a sudden, dramatic change in the water chemistry.

AgusPivi

Thank you very very much Fishproblem! I will try this as soon as possible, will keep you guys posted! The approach of a repeated 25% change hadn't come to mind. I will use this opportunity to vacuum the substrate as I reach each 25% of water.

Hopefully she will recover from this!

:)

AgusPivi

Hello everyone,

Sadly, Piper passed away yesterday night. She did seem to have reemerged after all of the water changes and was then able to go to the surface. But 5 minutes later after that, she laid nearly flat on the gravel and stopped breathing. I apologise in advance if the following image triggers anyone, but this was her final position. No signs of bloating, no signs of dropsy, and presumably some sort of problem with her god **** natatory bladder (for which turns out to be no magic cure yet in 2020 :c )

Thank you all, especially Fishproblem for helping me out. I just hope she didn't suffer much.
This will be my last fish for a long time, I'll have to put the tank to storage for a while. And will get back to coolwater fish when I do get back.
1600373332861.png

Cheers and I hope next time I turn out to be an even better caretaker for her :(

Fishproblem

Well Known
AgusPivi said:
Hello everyone,

Sadly, Piper passed away yesterday night. She did seem to have reemerged after all of the water changes and was then able to go to the surface. But 5 minutes later after that, she laid nearly flat on the gravel and stopped breathing. I apologise in advance if the following image triggers anyone, but this was her final position. No signs of bloating, no signs of dropsy, and presumably some sort of problem with her god **** natatory bladder (for which turns out to be no magic cure yet in 2020 :c )

Thank you all, especially Fishproblem for helping me out. I just hope she didn't suffer much.
This will be my last fish for a long time, I'll have to put the tank to storage for a while. And will get back to coolwater fish when I do get back.
1600373332861.png

Cheers and I hope next time I turn out to be an even better caretaker for her :(
So sorry to hear about this! Sometimes there's just nothing you can do.

When you do get another fish, I hope you'll let us know, and keep us updated :)

Top Bottom