Emergency, All Plants Are Dying!

reptilepaul93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Within the last few days all of the plants in my 20 gallon long are seemingly either molting away, and or rotting. Most of my lush green plant bed has either turned dark green, or the leaves are now see through.

What causes plants to become see through, and molt away? I lost most of my carpet to this..

See below

Attachments

reptilepaul93

Valued Member
Reaction score
For ferts: I've used Seachem equilibrium because I had Distilled water fill the tank, Flourish excel, and flourish iron, also Seachem stability for a cycle boost, Seachem alkaline buffer, and seachem acid buffer

For lighting I have:
T5 Dual Marine Aquarium Light FOWLR Cichlid Odyssea

I was getting a lot of algae because I had the lights on for 12-13 hours a day, so I reverted the lights down o 6 hours just yesterday just to kill off the algae while not completely decimating the plants.

-No C02 diffuser

For fert regime:

I have been dosing 1 ML of Excel everyday, and .5 ML of Iron every three days.

The GH: Is 1-3 degrees, some where in between there.. (On these tests does the whole vial need to turn green, or just the initial drop that pops off as green?

KH: Is also 1 degree, (On these tests does the whole vial need to turn yellow or just the test fluid dropping in?)

PH: 7.5-.7.7
Nitrite: 1.0
Ammonia 2.0
Nitrate: 5.0

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Am I reading correctly that you aren't dosing macros? Lack of some of them will make plants melt and disappear. The algae is also causing some issues but isnt your main problem yet.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
1 to 3 days sounds crazy.

Macros are NPK. Nitrogen, Phosphates, and Potassium. They are the big things plants eat. It's the same as carbs, proteins, and fats, for humans.

Micros, or micronutrients are everything else required. Manganese, magnesium, sodium, iron, etc.

How long were the carpeting plants in your tanks?

reptilepaul93

Valued Member
Reaction score
A few weeks, probably 1-2 months. I'm not entirely sure what happened they're not the only plants to die, a marmot ball turned brown in the affected area..

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It could be anything at this point. The pictures look like nitrogen and potassium deficiency. However, you really should study plant respiration and how to keep a planted tank. There's a ton of info. You jumped headfirst into this and I wish you the best, but you likely aren't set up to keep everything alive right now. I suggest lurking in plantedtank or posting there. We have some knowledgeable people, but there is a dearth of information there that may help you minimize the damage.

reptilepaul93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hmm...I think it might be a bacterial infection, there is a brown cloud, or something over most of the plants..

This is heart breaking I feel like it's game over.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
reptilepaul93 said:
Hmm...I think it might be a bacterial infection, there is a brown cloud, or something over most of the plants..

This is heart breaking I feel like it's game over.
It's definitely not game over! Go to that forum and they can quickly help you through this

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What carpeting plant are they?

Your stem plants are also showing a pretty severe magnesium deficiency, which you can see by the dark green veins surrounded by yellow-green leaf. I recommend that you up your GH to 5 or 6.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wraithen said:
there is a dearth of information there that may help you minimize the damage.
I do not think it means what u think it means.
“Wealth of information”, perhaps?
[i tried so hard to not write this. Really, I did. It’s like my thumbs took control of my brain]
Only love.
And respect, so love and respect.

reptilepaul93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi plants are alive and thriving now, but....My GH is still 18+ degrees, weird? But the PH is around 7.6-7.7 at most...but worst of all: My cycle appeared to have died out.

So I added 2ppm of ammonia two days ago it hasn't moved, I have no nitrite reading, and no nitrate reading =/ I have no idea what could have killed my cycle but it did.

I feel like giving up -_- lol.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom