Emergency adoption of Reef Tank... no exp.

1. w

walla8686 New Member Member

I have read over your beginners posts regarding sw tanks, and done plenty of research myself. For my personal situation, though, would like some advice please.

I have many years of successful experience with fw tanks of all sizes, the Nitrogen cycle, and many ignorant beginners mistakes before properly cycling my tanks.

On my venture to start up fishkeeping again, at my new house, I was called and thrown into "saving" my coworkers 55 gallon, reef tank. She was very experienced in sw and insisted that I keep the set up the same, in hopes that we can return the original fish, corals, anemonies, etc to the tank. My Bio professor was gracious enough to house the fish and other live items, as I broke down, and reset up the tank, sand, water, live rock, and regular carbon filters with bio wheels that she had on it, all in one night.

This set up does include a protein skimmer (I know nothing about) and two heaters, along with a loads of bottles that I am sure are essential but do not know anything about either.

The hydrometer showed that my salt levels were perfect (she checked, but I do not have the numbers handy at work). I am waiting on the official water test kit to arrive by mail, but am unsure as to where to go from here. I am sorry that I can not give you ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate readings. I was not ready for this tank at all.. There is a bright yellowish green algae and red algae growing over her rocks already, and the tank has been cycling for almost three weeks.

Considering this tank was tore down, and put back up within one night, what would you suggest I do next? Can you please explain, what this tank requires to be able to put fish, coral, etc back into the tank? I am not interested in killing anything by jumping too early, and definately need to understand sw more before proceding. Any information is appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Wendy

2. Mike

Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Hi Wendy - For now I'd just have the live rock in the tank with properly adjusted salinity with lots of water movement in the tank from powerheads while you are waiting for the test results. Make sure you don't have any readings of ammonia and nitrites on your test kit before you reintroduce the fish/inverts to the tank.

You mentioned corals and anemones. Do you know the common or scientific names? What type of lights and skimmer did the tank come with?

You don't need the bio-wheels on saltwater tanks since the live rock will be performing the bio-filtration. A couple pics of the tank and equipment it came with would help us help you figure out what you need or don't need.