Emergancy need help asap broken thermometer Help

1. frogfan Well Known Member Member

I was cleaning my frog tank and took my thermomiter out of the tank to check the new water going in when the glass tube shattered all the black balls at the end fell out and are now in my tank in the sand the murcery (red part) didnt break is the tank still safe once i get all the glass and black beads out whst are the beads made of? I cant get a new thermomiter till saturday dont know what to do moved the frogs to a small tank with some tank water but it wont maintain temp long

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. renthus Well Known Member Member

First, if you need to keep the temperature up in the new tank, put a lid on top with a fairly strong light. That'll heat it a lot. You can also wrap it in a towel or something, much like you'd wrap yourself in a blanket.

If the mercury didn't get into the tank, you SHOULD be fine, I think. Get the beads and glass out asap, then do a 100% water change. If you have live plants or snails or anything in the tank, observe them for a couple days before putting in the frogs again. If there seems to be a dieoff, then there's a serious problem.

Also, make absolutely sure you get ALL the glass and beads out. No tiny shards. Even if you have to completely switch substrates, make sure there's nothing sharp that can cut your frog's stomachs. That's more dangerous than any little beads.

3. frogfan Well Known Member Member

i looked online while waiting for a response here and found other people to have this issue i will post what i found for future reference
    the red liquid is only a small amount of alcohol dyed red not mercury we dont use mercury any more in thermometers, also the balls (weights) are metal/ lead balls and i could use a magnet to pick them up which i think i got most of im fairly certain i got all the glass i scooped about a cup of sand out with the glass and balls in it then used my turkey baster and a magnet to get more of the balls out there are still a few but they are mixed in with the sand and wont stick to the magnet the frogs are back in the tank now im hoping they dont die but if they do the LFS i visited for the first time today had some healthy looking ADF
    also the heater didnt break only the thermometer so keeping the tank heated isnt an issue just knowing what the temp is is an issue i will be getting a digital thermometer i think if i can find 1 for cheep