Emerald Green Cory Catfish Help Question

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by 9JERRYM2, Apr 14, 2018.

1. 9

9JERRYM2 New Member Member

I have 2 emerald green corys, one of them has a pinkish coloring on the skin, and the other has a yellowish tent, there is not much more discoloration in either of them. I have 3 julie corys that do not have these problems. I recently about a week ago changed the substrate from a black sand to a more natural color of sand due to adding plants and it being too dark. I initially thought it might of just been stress related, but its been a week and no change, worse or better. I have a 20 gallon tank, and im pretty sure im over stock, i have 4 platy fish that i am gonna get rid of because they poop A LOT and im pretty sure they are the reason all of my parameters steadily stay around .25 ppm. They only parameter that stays close to 0 is nitrate. All n all, i need help figuring out what is wrong with the 2 corys, the other fish do not have issues.

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore.
    Some pictures of the corys if you can get them would help us see what you’re describing.

3. OP
    OP

Sorry for the long response, i have to find one of my spare tanks for the corys, and i couldnt find my post of this. I have a picture of the two corys, the left cory is the female with the yellowish fins, cory on the right is the male with the pinkish skin.

IMG_6496.jpg

Also, if someone knows of an easier and faster way to find your posts on this app? Thatd be great

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  4. N8_the_Gr8

N8_the_Gr8 Valued Member Member

My Cory’s changed colors to blend in with the substrate. Maybe it is possible that they are doing this too.

5. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I know you didn’t ask about your cycle but showing ammonia and nitrites and “only parameter that stays close to 0 is nitrates” doesn’t sound like you are cycled.

My overstocked tank shows 0 ammonia or nitrites, just fast rising nitrates.

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

They're both C.aeneus.

7. OP
    OP

Its been cycled a while, the parameters just started to become unbalanced after i put the platies in

The shop i got them at said they were emerald green, but shop do get stuff mixed up a lot, but i dont think thats how they normally look though? As far as i remember

8. DoubleDutch

In fact Emerald Green Corydoras are Brochis Splendens. Lately the green type of C.aeneus are sold as such (tankbred and a lot cheaper).

The right one looks a bit different btw.

Am I correct the water of your main tank is cloudy ?

9. OP
    OP

Yes, but it became cloudy AFTER i replaced the substrate with a different sand, before that it was all fine, water & parameters

10. DoubleDutch

Okay, the Corys don't look ill only stressed I'd say.

Keep an eye on waterparameters.

Looks like bacterial bloom. That uses oxygen from the water, so take care for enough flow and/or add an airstone to do so.

11. OP
    OP

So it would be safe to put take the 2 corys out of tue hospital tank an put them back into the main?

12. DoubleDutch

If they behave normally and waterparameters are okay, I'd put them back.

13. OP
    OP

Ok well thanks for the help, ill ask again if things get worse

Ok btw how do you look up the post you create? Other than scrolling through ALL of the posts trying to find yours

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  14. DoubleDutch

I don't know hahaha. Maybe by "following" a member?

15. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Hi, welcome to Fishlore.
    if using the web version then at the top of the page click on ‘Your activity’, you can also go to your profile & click on ‘Your content’
    I don’t use the app but think you can see your content in your profile, hopefully someone can chime in & confirm that

16. OP
    OP

Im not even sure how to follow people

17. DoubleDutch

I've been overthinking my advice (tonight hahahaha) to put them back.

Keep a close eye on their behaviour and waterparameters. When they're active I wouldn't worry to much, when they get lethargic act (waterchanges).

Also keep a very close eye on waterparameters and be sure there is no ammonia / nitrite spike / minicycle.
    In that case act again (also for your C.trilineatus).

18. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I think to follow someone, you click on their icon/photo/whatever they show on the upper left photo spot. Then you have an option to follow.

I did this once for someone that kept giving advice I agreed with. Then I had two thoughts; I want to hear from those I disagree with have to say, and I felt like a stalker. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice