Question Emerald Cory’s Fighting?

Elle2128

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I can't say for sure, as I only just got some myself, but as I understand it they are supposed to be kept in groups of 6. Possibly for aggression reasons? I just put 6 in my 40 gallon and they are def. very energetic! Keeping up with my Silvertip Tetras no problem, lol.

Melmoth666

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I can't say for sure, as I only just got some myself, but as I understand it they are supposed to be kept in groups of 6. Possibly for aggression reasons? I just put 6 in my 40 gallon and they are def. very energetic! Keeping up with my Silvertip Tetras no problem, lol.
I have a Bronze Cory in there too. I have ordered 4 more Emeralds, but my LFS is soooooo slow. But you could be right. I don't know if its agression or passion. He or She never messed with bronze Cory......

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've never known cories to be aggressive towards each other like that... my guess is it might be breeding behavior or else he/she is just insecure in his new environment and wants to shoal with the only other fish of his species.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Corys won't fight (at least the common species). They are or overexcited to have new company, or they're trying to mate (what I expect it to be here).

Prespawning behaviour excists out of chasing the female.

Can't actually see if they're C.splendens or C.aeneus.

pagoda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ah....the sweet sound of faceplanting into the other fish, the plants, the sand and the glass whilst in full on "getting jiggy with it" wrestling.....Cory's are renowned for that. Mine do it 24/7 Little darlings are just so romantic

Melmoth666

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
C.splendens.
Yes. They are C. splendens. Sailfin Emerald Corys. I have one C.aeneus with them. I used to have 3, but two turned white and died.

Ah....the sweet sound of faceplanting into the other fish, the plants, the sand and the glass whilst in full on "getting jiggy with it" wrestling.....Cory's are renowned for that. Mine do it 24/7 Little darlings are just so romantic
I think that is the more likely scenario. Its summertime so the tank is about 79-80, whereas I usually keep it 78-79, and I have a few Dwarf Gourami, so I am putting in high protien food all the time to keep them healthy. All the fishies are amorous right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deku-Cory

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You know, as soon as I read the post title my thoughts were “What they’re probably witnessing is the exact opposite of fighting!” Their courtship dance is quite the thing to watch. Frantically cleaning every surface in the tank, shooting around like rockets, chasing each other like a bunch of children playing tag, meanwhile the other Cories follow them around waiting for them to lay so that they can get some free caviar. Then they settle down for a while, looking like they just swam a marathon. Then they do the whole thing again.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom