Emerald catfish died :(

Junne

Emerald/Bronze Cory died!

This pic was just taken a week ago!

He didn't seem to have any health issues ( other than he lost his barbels 3 years ago )

He was 6 + years old!

I wonder, how long do they normally live?

emerald cat fish 9-15-16.jpg

Anders247

Sorry for your loss.
They can live up to 25-ish years, 15 being normal.

el337

Aww, sorry to hear about your cory.

Junne

Thank you - I think he was actually a Bronze cory ( I put Emerald ) and his buddy is 6 + years as well. I believe both are males ( never had any eggs/spawning ) and his buddy is still in good health as far as I can tell.

I immediately did an API test and all shows normal - no signs of anything weird on the body......
It was just so unexpected since I just fed them yesterday and he was swimming around like his normal self.

DoubleDutch

Sorry for your loss.
The fish in the pic isn't a bronze / aeneus but a Brochis. Looks quite healthy. They can get quite old.

Junne

Sorry for your loss.
The fish in the pic isn't a bronze / aeneus but a Brochis. Looks quite healthy. They can get quite old.
Wow I didn't know that. I've had several people over the course of a few years tell me it is an Emerald, Bronze, etc.
Interesting.

DoubleDutch

Sorry for your loss.

Emerald/Bronze Cory died!

This pic was just taken a week ago!

He didn't seem to have any health issues ( other than he lost his barbels 3 years ago )

He was 6 + years old!

I wonder, how long do they normally live?

emerald cat fish 9-15-16.jpg

Wow I didn't know that. I've had several people over the course of a few years tell me it is an Emerald, Bronze, etc.
Interesting.
Emerald Green Cory yes (though quite dark colored / not high body shaped), Bronze cory no. The dorsal fin of Brochis (Corydoras) splendens is different shaped than C.aeneus.

Junne

Emerald Green Cory yes (though quite dark colored / not high body shaped), Bronze cory no. The dorsal fin of Brochis (Corydoras) splendens is different shaped than C.aeneus.

Do you think ( based on this pic ) that this one is a male? I have another exactly like it - same age and they have never exhibited mating behaviors and or ever seen eggs.

DoubleDutch

I'd say it is a male. Can you place a pic of the survivor ?

Junne

I'd say it is a male. Can you place a pic of the survivor ?

I'll try - very hard to get pics of my cory's as they are always hiding out in the back.....

fissh

In the fish trade an emerald cat is a Brochis. They get much larger than green aeneus .

Anders247

Brochis isn't their genus anymore, they were moved to Corydoras recently, FYI.

fissh

Brochis isn't their genus anymore, they were moved to Corydoras recently, FYI.
Thanks

slayer5590

PLanetcatfish has them as Brochis.

Coradee

The jury's still out on whether they should be in with corys or not, not all the experts agree.
I believe there is going to be work on splitting corys into about a dozen genuses(sp?) so it could get even more confusing in the future.

fissh

The thing is we all know what a brochis or emerald cat is, and who cares how many times they change what it is. It will still be called a brochis by most people.

DoubleDutch

In the fish trade an emerald cat is a Brochis. They get much larger than green aeneus .
Not necessarily true. My green aeneus are huge.

DoubleDutch

The thing is we all know what a brochis or emerald cat is, and who cares how many times they change what it is. It will still be called a brochis by most people.
Thing is there are C.aeneus sold as (emerald) green Cory as well.

Anders247

It's technically officially in the genus Corydoras though, not all experts agree but it's recognized that way. Fishbase has them listed as Corydoras splendens.

DoubleDutch

It's technically officially in the genus Corydoras though, not all experts agree but it's recognized that way. Fishbase has them listed as Corydoras splendens.
That's correct. Trying to make the confusion even bigger hahaha.

fissh

How about an emerald bochis, would that work?

DoubleDutch

Corydoras splendens and Corydoras aeneus are perfect for me. It is the common name that causes the confusion.

fissh

Most people will always know it as a brochis cat. A green cory is a different cat, And it's only the people that specialize in cories like you that will know it's a splendens, for now. (until they change it again) I agree it's much more accurate, but the average hobbyist won't care.

DoubleDutch

Green cory

fissh

Good article, The ones I used to get were Brochis Brochis multiradiatus.

Junne

So what is the general consensus on which species my cory was??????

Anders247

It's a Corydoras splendens, the 'brochis' one. Emerald cory.

Junne

It's a Corydoras splendens, the 'brochis' one. Emerald cory.

Ok got confused reading back and forth thru the thread. So Petsmart WAS RIGHT on labeling it when I got him. I always had it written down as Emerald but different people had said it was this or that so I was never really sure. Thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
20 Gallon Tank Corydoras Food Crisis
Replies
Views
CaptainSupport
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Betta head down tail up
Replies
Views