Ember tetras swim funny?

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by khloem, Jul 12, 2015.

1. khloem

khloem Valued Member Member

hi everyone! so i had a quick question about my ember tetras. i have ten of them, and some of them seem to swim not completely upright. here's what i mean: a tetra will be swimming fine, then all of the sudden begin to swim swim a bit lopsided or diagonally. then the tetra straightens up a few seconds later. yet some of them seem to swim like this all of the time. quite a few of them have done this, some for less than a few seconds, some almost always. but none of them seem sick at all, and they all school together, eat, and swim around just fine. is this normal or is it something to be concerned about? thanks :)

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Kind of sounds like a swimbladder problem.

3. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

It's not unusual. They can turn sideways for a couple of reasons: courting, intraspecific aggression, or just angle of the light. Many fish orient themselves according to the light source. Sometimes a beam of light will reflect off something and come in at an odd angle. The fish will react to this, then when they get out of that beam, they straighten back up to the overhead light.

4. OP
    OP
    khloem

thanks for the input, but i don't believe that's the issue. they don't seem to be doing it anymore. it only lasts a few seconds with most of them. i'm glad about that, now that i have added two more fish into my tank, they seem to be swimming just fine! :)

5. OP
    OP
    khloem

thank you! i definitely understand what you're saying, and that seems to fit with what was happening. the funny thing is, i added a pair of guppies with them and everyone seems to be swimming normally! they all get along great! :) it's so peaceful to watch since there's no chasing or anything! thanks for the help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice