10 Gallon Tank Ember tetras suddenly very stressed - hoping for guidance

groggydog

Hi all, I have a 10-gallon planted freshwater tank. I have 1 male guppy, 12 ember tetras, 6 amano shrimp, and a nerite snail.

Current readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate.

About three weeks ago I did a few things: I removed a frosted background to my tank and changed a number of plants (added Christmas moss, removed some dying bacopa, and put frogbit up top), and ever since my embers have been extremely scared of me passing by (I live in a studio apartment so it's inevitable). I also switched from Aqueon Water Conditioner to API Stress Coat+ for my dechlorinator. Finally, about a week after that I lowered the light by one setting to see if it would help, but it didn't.

Since then my guppy is totally fine, and the embers look fine when I'm at a distance, at night, and at feeding time. But otherwise they run away as soon as they see movement from me. It's definitely movement-based, not sound-based, and seems to get worse as they day goes on. After a certain point in the day they seem to just stay in the corner.

I would love some advice. I'm thinking about getting some black construction paper to put on the back glass temporarily to see if it helps, but I'd love to not scare my poor tetras away any more. Two photos in the link below are to show before/after.

BigManAquatics

Maybe some taller plants might help a bit. They may feel like they are caught in the wide open when the "big, maybe scary human" comes near.

bored411

That could just be their personality. My sister has some ember tetras in her tank and they do the same. They come out for feeding but stick to the middle and back of the tank if you walk past. She got a large java fern and they like to duck in and out of the leaves. You could try that to provide them with more cover.

groggydog

That could just be their personality. My sister has some ember tetras in her tank and they do the same. They come out for feeding but stick to the middle and back of the tank if you walk past. She got a large java fern and they like to duck in and out of the leaves. You could try that to provide them with more cover.
I should clarify - they were fine for about 6 months before this change. Never acted like this
Maybe some taller plants might help a bit. They may feel like they are caught in the wide open when the "big, maybe scary human" comes near.
Possibly. I've never really had tall plants and they never acted like this before - a good six months

Noroomforshoe

I would deffinitly put the tank background back and see if that helps. I bet it seend brighter more open, and scarier in there without it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
10 Gallon Tank Inactive Ember Tetras?
Replies
Views
AltVzn
  • Question
Replies
Views
RayClem
  • Question
Replies