Ember Tetras Dying Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Rigelian417, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Rigelian417

Rigelian417New MemberMember

Bought 7 embers from the LFS for a newly cycled tank a little over a week ago. They look completely healthy (good color, no spots, no cysts) but for whatever reason they’re dying one by one every few days.

I’m doing 50%-80% water changes every other day and treating with prime. Checking levels with the API master kit immediately before changing the water and 24 hours after changing trying to see if I’m missing something water quality wise and everything checks out fine each time.

What am I overlooking? Or is it possible it’s just a bad batch of fish? (The LFS employee happens to be a close friend and she was blowing my phone up every few hours for the first few days asking about the fish....Seems like slightly suspicious behavior)

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

How did you cycle the tank before adding them?

How did you acclimate the?

What are the water parameters?

That does sound a bit suspicious. I'd ask her how the other embers are doing.

3. OP
    OP
    Rigelian417

-I did a fishless cycle using ammonia and borrowed materials from a healthy established aquarium.

-acclimated the fish by dumping a portion of the water from the bag, float for 15, then added a few ounces of my own water to the bag every 15/20 over the course of a couple hours.

-water parameters have consistently been:

Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: 5ppm
    With Ph hovering between 6.8-7

4. TexasDomer

It sounds like you did everything right. They could have been stressed or sick from the store.

5. OP
    OP
    Rigelian417

I’m inclined to agree. I’m considering purchasing another round of cheapy starter fish (from a different supplier, obviously) to see if they suffer the same fate or if they have a better outcome.

I do appreciate the reassurance. I’ve been scratching my head over this all week.

6. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Hang in there. Sometimes we can do everything as perfectly as we know how to do and we still lose fish. It sounds like that is where you are right now.

I think I would have to call the LFS employee and see if she was calling because the store was losing fish. If they are then you would have more of an idea as to why you are losing yours. Hopefully they stand behind the fish they sell and will replace the ones you have lost.

Also, hopefully they will let you know if this shipment of fish had a problem/disease that might cause problems should you get more fish from somewhere else.

7. OP
    OP
    Rigelian417

I definitely plan on reaching out to her at some point before the end of the day. The shop guarantees their fish for 14 days so I’m definitely going to get my refund and put it towards either some danios or another round of tetras.

I just can’t decide at this point if I should go ahead and get the new batch or wait til these remaining little guys bite the dust in case they’re carrying something I can’t detect.

8. TexasDomer

Are you going to keep the next batch of fish that you get, or are you planning to only use them to test the tank?

9. OP
    OP
    Rigelian417

Keep. But if they end up being a sacrificial test I won’t be heartbroken either.

10. TexasDomer

Then I'd return the remaining ember tetra and just get another school. What size tank is this, and what species were you planning on getting? Do you have anything else in the tank?

11. OP
    OP
    Rigelian417

Just a little 10 gallon. I have the intent to just keep a small school or 2 of smaller variety tetras or danios anyway. (Its for my 5 year old so he’s easy to please)

Only other critters in the tank are a couple nerite snails.

12. TexasDomer

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice