Ember Tetras And Bettas?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Ed204, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

So I have a 10-12 Gallon tank, and I have a male betta.

I'm planning to do a complete makeover of the tank and I'm planning to change the stocking as well.

My Betta has been kept with a small molly I rescued before and he did fine with him, he only followed him for a while and later lost interest.

I sort of like Ember Tetras because their vibrant colors.

I also want to keep some Platies maybe one or two.

So is this tank stocking possible?
    1x Male Betta
    6-8x Ember Tetras
    1-2x Platies

If anything goes wrong with the Bettas and I'm ready to take him out.

Thanks so Much for your help! I'll make sure they'll be plenty of room for all the fish to roam.

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Bettas and ember tetras are temperature compatible but I wouldn't keep them together especially in such a small tank.
    Platies have very little temperature overlap with bettas

3. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Honestly, since I live in Indonesia nobody in the fish market really cares about tempreture and because of that all the fish have adapted to the same tropical tempreture, because the fish market is somewhat outdoors with a roof.

However, speaking honestly do you think it's do-able?

4. BottomDweller

Honestly I think it's very risky in such a small tank. I wouldn't try it.
    I would do the betta without any other fish OR 10 ember tetras OR 3-4 platies

5. OP
    OP
    Ed204

I know, however if it works out well is it okay to carry on?

6. BottomDweller

What do you mean?
    If the betta gets along with them for a few weeks or months it doesn't mean he will be fine with them forever. There have been so many stories of bettas living in a community tank for a while with everything going fine then finally one day it snaps. He may snap while you are not around and you come back to a tank of hurt/dead fish and one innocent looking betta. It may sound unlikely if you have been reading about people putting bettas in community tanks successfully because there are so many of these "success" stories but you hardly ever come across a betta in a community that has been working well for over a year where the tank is smaller than 30 gallons.
    Bettas are not community fish. Even if they do not harm their tankmates he will be stressed with all the other fish on "his territory".
    In a 10-12 gallon tank there is simply not enough room for fish to get away from eachother. In a 60 gallon tank with one betta and a school of 8-10 ember tetras it would probably be ok.

7. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Okay, will 6-8 Ember Tetras and 2 Platies be okay then?

8. OP
    OP
    Ed204

9. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Will this Stocking be okay then?
    6-8x Ember Tetras
    1-2x Platies
    3-5x Nerite Snails

May I also be able to add an Oto? Or do you recommend any other Bottom feeders?

10. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

Ottos really prefer a group of 6+ of their own kind. Maybe some amano shrimp for a little more bottom activity?

11. OP
    OP
    Ed204

How about Pygmy Cories or other types of Cories. I know that other Cories need a bigger tank size but are there any other type of Corydoras that could do
    Maybe Corydoras Hasbrosus?

12. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't keep them in a tank smaller than a 24" x 12" footprint. Hasbrosus probably have the best chance of coexisting with a betta, but I still wouldn't try it.

13. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't keep cories in a tank this size.

14. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Alright then, I'll just settle for snails

15. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, no cories or otos.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice