Ember Tetra Water temperature

AquaAlic

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looking for other's experiences with ember tetras and preferred water temps? I've found conflicting information online, some sites claim they like typical tropical ranges of upper 70s to low 80s, while other sites claim they are more like neons, preferring low 70s?

TheGeeko

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've kept my ember tetras at a range of 74-76 throughout their lives and they handle both perfectly! From what I understand, the higher the temperature, their lifespans may be a bit shorter just because of the faster metabolic activity. This is why people raise temperatures when raising fry because it helps them grow faster. I have found that that range (mid 70s to low 80s) can work, just as long as it isn't swinging up and down all day. To be honest, I have felt most comfortable just choosing a number in the middle of that range (74-76 F) and it has worked perfectly, my tetras even spawned some fry that grew into adults! They can thrive at a variety of temperatures which is what makes them a really unique fish, it's just important that it isn't changing every single day IMO.

kelm23

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’ve kept mine at ~76F for almost two years and they continue to do well.

OP
AquaAlic

AquaAlic

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok thanks to you both - I'm going to lower a few degrees from the standard preset 78 then thanks!

New Threads