Ember Tetra Turning Pale Then Dying

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by calmw16, Apr 11, 2017.

1. calmw16

calmw16 Valued Member Member

I just got in some ember tetras but they are slowly dying on me. I bought 6 for my 10 gal then 2 died 3 days later. Then another died the next week. I'm really disappointed because I waited 8 weeks for these guys to become available. Anyway they looked fine then one turned pale, refused to eat, then died. This is slowly happening one by one. Water parameters are good, temp is good and I can't think of any reason why it's happening. Are embers very sensitive to water softness or anything like that or is it some disease?

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Do you have any pictures? Is there any other odd behaviors, hanging at the bottom of the tank stuff like that?

3. OP
    OP
    calmw16

[​IMG]

This is one currently. He's not eating and he's not going near the other two tetras. Not swimming in weird places except maybe more in the open than normal

4. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

Wow, and your water is 0-0-20ish? What is your pH? Do you know your KH?

5. OP
    OP
    calmw16

0-0-20 and pH of 7.6
    I don't know the kH

6. OP
    OP
    calmw16

I don't know if this has any value to it but I put some neon tetras in there a while ago and they lasted maybe 5 days. Same story. My guppy has been fine in there for a month or two though.

7. azbev

azbev Valued Member Member

I recently lost a Neon Tetra and a few days later my Dwarf Gourami, whom I'd been treating in quarantine with SulfaPlex because I had no idea what was wrong with him -- looked like it might be swim bladder, but I tried the SulfaPlex as it worked so well for him when he had bloat. It did not help him this time. From what I've read, it is possible that these deaths can be related to the use of Flourish Excel, which I'd been using for my plants. Other posts have indicated that Flouirsh can actually become toxic to fish. Have you added any to your tank?

8. OP
    OP
    calmw16

I have not added anything. Now I'm starting to think my current is too strong and my fish can't get any rest. My guppy is fine because he's bigger and can handle it but the tetras I'm noticing are fighting the current constantly. This really annoys me because it's the filter that came with the tank.

9. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Weird. I found mine to be hardy. Water softness shouldn't be the issue. Were they eating fine before the symptoms occured?

10. OP
    OP
    calmw16

Yes they were eating fine. Grouped together and colored well. The pump may be the issue because they aren't able to rest with the constant current but I'm pretty sure these guys live in streams so I have no idea. Maybe petco fish just hate me

11. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

I've got 8 embers in a 16 gallon (same footprint as a 10 just taller) with a Quietflow 20 filter.
    Gentle flow and lots of fake plants for them to hide in/behind.
    I have soft water but boost it to 6 drops (107.4 ppm) with Seachem Replenish.
    KH is 4.

12. OP
    OP
    calmw16

Another plausible reason would be I don't have enough plants or hiding spaces. What do you think?[​IMG]

13. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe topping of the water may help with the current? I definitely wouldn't rule out the filter at this point. Some more plants would help reduce stress, but I don't think it's causing them to die off, especially since they were eating fine before. Adding a larger group of embers wouldn't hurt either and help them adjust better. Their bioload is so small, it shouldn't be a problem doing it all at once. I'm just worried they might start dying as well, possibly they were all diseased.

14. OP
    OP
    calmw16

That was an older picture when it was doing a fishless cycle. Now the water is topped off. Now there is just one left and I noticed he has some white ick spots. Probably won't be long with him either :/ I've noticed a lot of brown algae recently too. Could that be a sign of anything? Again nitrates are low, I don't keep the light on too much and I'm not sure why it's there at all.

15. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

DSC_1474.JPG

This is my 16 with the embers and pygmy cories in it (8 each).

My embers spend most of their time on the right side in and around the tall fake plant.

The brown algea is probably diatoms.
    I've got it in two of my newest tanks.

16. OP
    OP
    calmw16

At this point I don't think the filter was the problem but I'm not certain. I think the fish I bought were just diseased or something before I bought them. At this point I have one tetra left and he seems great. He lost the ich spots and now everything seems fine but now I can't buy any more of them... I would have to order them and I'm not going through that process again

17. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

How long did you do the fishless cycle? It's quite possible that the tank might not be ready. Waiting for the tank to run take time, often weeks. Even though your parameters might say all the right stuff, it might have spiked back up when you threw in all those fish in the tank.

18. OP
    OP
    calmw16

The cycle took me 1 month.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice