Ember tetra staying in same spot all day

airdog44

Ok, so I have 9 ember tetras in my 10-gallon tank. Ph is 7.0-7.2, nitrate around 20 ppm, nitrite 0, and ammonia is at 0 ppm. The tank temperature is around 75 F. He looks completely fine but is breathing heavy and stays underneath one of my anubius leaves all day for the past 2 or 3 days. The other 8 fish swim around but generally stay in the same area in the front right corner of the tank near the bottom. Everyone eats fine, they always have an appetite. I really am not sure what's going on. Maybe my lights are too bright? He's not being bullied because I have never seen any aggression, and whenever they get scared or there's food he joins the rest of the school. Thanks for the help :)

BigManAquatics

Maybe lights. Have you tried turning them off or dimming during the day and see if behavior changes?

airdog44

So the lights are off right now and he is still under the leaf. I did just see another fish nip at him though...maybe I was wrong and it is bullying? If so how can I fix this?

Silverleaf209

What kinds of fish do you have in your tank, how many of each kind?

airdog44

It’s a 10 gallon with 9 ember tetras, nothing else

Silverleaf209

It’s a 10 gallon with 9 ember tetras, nothing else
Oh ok do you notice anything unusual about the fish on the bottom of the tank, like something up with his fins?

airdog44

They all look normal, not heavy breathing just kind of hovering. It’s not everyday it’s usually early in the day before I have fed them. Maybe they’re just hungry? Because after feeding they go back to normal then at night it’s the same thing

Silverleaf209

Maybe, good luck!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Cooperman411
  • Tetras
Replies
Views
LotusWhispers
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe