Ember Tetra Ring-in?

Iskateness

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’ve had a group of ember tetras in my 10 gallon planted tank for about a year. I originally started with 6 from a local pet store, and they arrived quite pallid and pale peach colour (very small) but have darkened up to the proper orange colour over time and grown. There was always one fish that didn’t darken, and I’ve done a lot of reading and researching over the last year seeing what I could do to get it healthier.

These guys live on premium micro pellets, crushed flake, crushed bloodworm, and a few random things like live food, cucumber and shelled peas. They’re in a heavily planted tank on their lonesome, and seem to do quite well. Always have to resist adding new fish!

While that fish never seemed to darken, I decided the others would benefit from a bigger shoal (they seemed nervous) so a couple of months ago I bought an additional 3. Over time their group has naturally increased to about 12-13 (I never spot the fry until all of a sudden they’re big enough to shoal with the others!).

The new embers and the baby embers darkened up quite nicely, but this single fish never did. I’ve just suddenly realised it may not be an ember! Interestingly, some of the fry are much paler than others - we’ll just have to see if they darken up into embers... or not!

I don’t have great photos but can describe, and the photo I have included will demonstrate the colour difference. The paler fish seems VERY similar in shape, size and fins - possibly a tiny bit larger than many of the embers, but also one of the oldest I have. It is pale peach with a slightly iridescent belly (the others don’t have any hint of this) and is more transparent than all but the palest embers, with its spine and darker organs easily visible. It has a brighter peach band at the base of its tail, and below the iridescence the belly is paler.

The photo is a screenshot from this video, which shows the group of embers in general so you can see the colour/size differences.
The VERY END of the video shows the mystery fish next to an ember, and I’ve included a screenshot for reference.

I’ve seen references to a Georgett’s or Georgis tetra that have similar descriptions, but can only find one photo online which is against a blue background, and doesn’t show the colors clearly enough.

Any ideas?

Attachments

Baba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Not a real idea why but want to let you know you are not alone. One Ember in my group doesn't exhibit the bright orange/red coloration while all the other do.

Iskateness

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Baba said:
Not a real idea why but want to let you know you are not alone. One Ember in my group doesn't exhibit the bright orange/red coloration while all the other do.
If you watch the video you’ll see that there’s quite a variation in colour among all of them, but then this one almost glows in comparison. You see it twice on the video. The iridescence leads me to believe that it is definitely different.

Baba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah, watched the video but it's hard to see. You might want to shot a clear picture and upload it to the fish ID section here.

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Interesting, may I ask what your temp is set at? Mine were like that until I turned the heat up to 78-79. But obviously your others are not exhibiting the same appearance so not sure...

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it is just an anomalous individual Ember. Such things do happen. Could be a minor mutation in the dna while the fish was maturing. It appears to have all the other characteristics of Hyphessobrycon amandae, so the absence of the red pigment is not significant unless the mutation is in the reproductive cells, as well.

Iskateness

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
WTFish? said:
Interesting, may I ask what your temp is set at? Mine were like that until I turned the heat up to 78-79. But obviously your others are not exhibiting the same appearance so not sure...
Mines usually around 78-79 - I’m Australian so my thermometre reads 26C which is equivalent to 78.8

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Iskateness said:
Mines usually around 78-79 - I’m Australian so my thermometre reads 26C which is equivalent to 78.8
Maybe he’s just special

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom