Ember tetra pregnant?

CaptainAquatics

Hi! I have had a group of 6 ember tetras for probably 6 months now. I just lost one of them yesterday and now I am noticing a large black mark on ones side. I understand Gravid marks and wonder if this ember tetra may be pregnant. I know fish can become aggressive when they have eggs so I figure that may explain the mysterious death. If she is pregnant what steps should I do to make sure things go smoothly. If not what may it be?
Tank size- 5 gallon
Inhabitants- 1 male king betta (doesn’t really bother with them), 5 ember tetras
Water changes- 50-65% weekly
Tempeture- 74-76f

Thanks
You must be registered to see images
You must be registered to see images

Joshaeus

Not sure what this is...ember tetras are egglayers, and I have never heard of females of any tetras developing anything remotely resembling a livebearer's gravid spot. Can you give your water parameters? Most tetra eggs will not hatch in water with a PH above 7.

CaptainAquatics

Not sure what this is...ember tetras are egglayers, and I have never heard of females of any tetras developing anything remotely resembling a livebearer's gravid spot. Can you give your water parameters? Most tetra eggs will not hatch in water with a PH above 7.

Sure, give me a little bit.

angelcraze

Sorry, that is not a gravid tetra. Not sure what it is though? Necrosis?

Actually, any others showing shadowing in that area?
Do the ember tetras hide from the betta or stay out of his way?

Joshaeus

Now that I think of it...I've read of large (not king/giant) male bettas eating neon tetras, and neons are significantly larger than ember tetras...are you sure the ember tetras are comfortable around the betta?

CaptainAquatics

Now that I think of it...I've read of large (not king/giant) male bettas eating neon tetras, and neons are significantly larger than ember tetras...are you sure the ember tetras are comfortable around the betta?

I pretty sure. The betta (from what I see) mostly ignores the tetras, just kinda does his own things.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • yukiyamallama
  • Tetras
Replies
Views
yukiyamallama
Replies
Views
Cluckyduck
  • Brooke123
  • Tetras