Ember Tetra Ph

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Hill Dweller, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Hill Dweller

Hill Dweller Well Known Member Member

hi team! So the Betta fish continued to terrorise the poor mystery snail. Miss 3 understood that's not nice for the snail so the red fish had to go back to the pet shop. We came home with 10 ember tetras instead. I don't think they can harm anything bigger than a daphnia? Haha.

Anyway my 10 gallon tank ph seems to be quite settled lately at 7.4-7.6, it's kind of in between colours on the API high range ph test, and the 7.6 bright blue on the regular ph test. The tap water that has sat for 24 hours is 7.8, so I think my plants and driftwood must be doing their thing to bring it down a bit. Tank GH test took 8 drops and KH took 6 drops, so I understand that's at the lower end of hardness?

Some of the ember tetra profiles say they are best in a range of 6.0 to 7.0 ph but I often see forum threads indicating it's better to keep ph stable than fight with it and have it jumping around a lot which is worse for the fish.

So I guess I'm looking for some confirmation I should just keep on with diftwood (and it's autumn here so I have oak leaves galore) and slowly work towards 7.0 rather than go messing about with ph down products?

Appreciate your thoughts :)

2. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

I definetely think that it is better for fish to have a stable pH rather than their exact ideal pH via chemical alteration. Natural alterations are fine though.

3. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't worry about it. Like, Maddie says, it's better to have stable ph than messing around with it through chemicals. From personal experience, even tannins doesn't seem to effect ph. Well, at least for me and I even have very low kh. My embers are doing very good with ph at 7.2 (elos freshwater ph test kit).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice