Ember Tetra Group Size Question

1. pacmanfrog404 Member Member

Just purchased a group of 8 ember tetras. They are all doing good in quarantine but just wondering if you guys think 8 is a proper school size. Should I get a few more?

2. Accents Member Member

Hello! Tetras like schooling in groups of 6+, so the 8 will do fine. If you wanted more, it wouldn't hurt, but it's not necessary.

3. scarface Well Known Member Member

8 is fine. They have very small bioloads, from my experience, so usually I think the numbers can be quite generous. How big is your tank?

4. pacmanfrog404 Member Member

20 long, I might go for like 5 more just because the group when tight schooling just isn't thick enough for me.

Never had a schooling fish before cause I'm usually an oddball guy (halfbeaks, sparkling gouramis etc). This is all new to me but I really like these tetras. The little twitchy swimming movements appeal to me for some reason.

5. scarface Well Known Member Member

You can easily triple that amount, assuming they're the only fish in there. But I'm a heavy stocker, so I'll have 30 embers with perhaps a few honey gouramis, and a small pleco species. Oh wait, I already sorta have that type of stocking :).

6. pacmanfrog404 Member Member

I have

3 wrestling halfbeaks
    2 peacock gudgeons
    2 sparkling gouramis
    8 ottos
    Some wild form neocaradina shrimps coming in the mail
    Then some amanos and nerites scattered a bit

Just to clear up though sparkling gouramis only get like .5 - 1 inch. You guys probably know that but just letting you know they aren't huge gouramis.

7. scarface Well Known Member Member

Doesn't look bad at all, although I'm not familiar with halfbeaks. If they were potentially a problem, I'd think you would know better than I.

Yes, I do think people get sparkling gouramis confused with pearls, which get a lot bigger.

Ember tetras are one of my favorite fish. They are really underrated, probably because they look drab at the store.

8. pacmanfrog404 Member Member

Just overnight they got this like "fanta" coloration along their sides. I don't know why but they just look great to me. Almost like a glowlight tetra but smaller.

The Halfbeaks almost never leave the surface except when they are scaredand at that point they're too docile to nip at anything.

9. Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

You can likely go up to 14 embers with their bioload, eventual size, and your current stock. So the 13 you plan should work out just fine, once they get used to their new home they should school a little less tightly