Ember Tetra Fin Nipping Help

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In a 20 g tall I’m having an issue with ember tetras nipping at the fins of cories. Do I have to move the cories or will added a few more embers fix the problem?

In that tank I have:
5 ember tetras
6 rasboras (harlequin)
2 pepper cories (one is 1.5 inches and one is 2 inches
Panda Cory - very small all the other pandas died

I have an aquaclear 30 and double side sponge filter. A lot of live plants, some fake plants, driftwood with java fern and a fake hollow trunk for hiding.

Temp is 78, ammonia is zero, nitrites are zero, nitrates are 10 and pH 7.8

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sometimes tetras in small schools may be nippy. Would it be possible to rearrange the tank and get a few more embers in there?

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
aussieJJDude said:
Sometimes tetras in small schools may be nippy. Would it be possible to rearrange the tank and get a few more embers in there?
I think they were bored so I moved the cories and have more embers in quarantine.

Their also spawning, not sure if that makes a difference. The rasboras in that tank are spawning too but no fry after about 2 weeks of this.

Florian Pellet

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ioana Dog said:
I think they were bored so I moved the cories and have more embers in quarantine.

Their also spawning, not sure if that makes a difference. The rasboras in that tank are spawning too but no fry after about 2 weeks of this.
I don't know about tetras as I've only recently started keeping them, but rasboras tend to eat their own eggs. So you might see them spawning and yet not get any fry.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ioana Dog said:

Spawning? Do you see them scatter eggs?

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I actually witness them spawning all over the tank. At first I thought they were having seizures and started to panic because I had no clue what was happening. I can tell when the female are full with eggs so I know when it’s coming. I just put java moss and some plant tissue cultures in there but they like to spawn on all the other plants them their friends start munching.

If I had more room and time I’d set up a breeding tank but I don’t know if I’ll get much results and I’m busy with my 13 other tanks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom