Ember Tetra Color

mrjohn

Member
My original 9 Ember Tetras from Petco never "deepened" in color. They remain a pale orange even with a mixed diet. Otherwise, they are active and healthy. I went up to an lfs recently to bring my total to 15 and these guys are vibrant. The 6 that I picked up are a beautiful deep orange. The gentleman that owns the business does source some of the fish that he doesn't breed from private breeders, so I'm wondering why such a difference?

Is it as simple as better genes/strains? Obviously these 6 didn't come from a farm. Should I be doing something else to try and get the rest of my embers to become just as deep?

I feed freeze dried blood worms and freeze dried brine sparingly. I also feed frozen brine once in a while. They also get flakes and veggie pellets. I tried to get a decent photo but the glare is strong at the moment so I had to settle for some blur.
IMG_20200920_162145.jpg

IMG_20200920_162147.jpg
 

StarGirl

Member
Mine are bright and dull like that too. I got them all from the same lfs at different times. Maybe the males or females are a brighter color?
 
  • Thread Starter

mrjohn

Member
Possibly. I read up on it a bit and that's why I was feeding a mixed diet but the difference is insane. In that second photo you can clearly see the difference. I'll keep reading up on it. I still love my OGs regardless.
 

StarGirl

Member
I feed Bug Bites Tropical Flakes, Spirulina Flakes and Tropical Granules. Frozen I feed Bloodworms and Brine. I don't have freeze dried because my fish never seemed to take to them. I just rotate.

I love them too. I have 11 or 12 I think right now. Once some other fish go I plan to up my Embers and Cardinals some more. When my husband walks by the tank the Embers and Cards all school and go end to end together and it is so cool because they swim different levels of the tank! :D
 

jake37

Member
I wanted an ember once and my angels really hoped i would get them...
 
  • Thread Starter

mrjohn

Member
StarGirl said:
I feed Bug Bites Tropical Flakes, Spirulina Flakes and Tropical Granules. Frozen I feed Bloodworms and Brine. I don't have freeze dried because my fish never seemed to take to them. I just rotate.

I love them too. I have 11 or 12 I think right now. Once some other fish go I plan to up my Embers and Cardinals some more. When my husband walks by the tank the Embers and Cards all school and go end to end together and it is so cool because they swim different levels of the tank! :D
I use Spirulina as well. My Betta actually loves those flakes. It is awesome that your fish actually do that. My embers barely swim together, and neither do my danios. The tank just has independent fish of a few species, swimming anywhere and everywhere. I just grabbed six pygmy corys and they're never together. I want your fish.
 

jake37

Member
My story with pygmy is very different. I had 6 and picked up 8 more for 14. They are like a flock of bird; they like to sit near the front right corner of the tank. Everytime i walk into the room they all take off going mid tank and hover (as a group) and when i leave they all sit back down as a group. That tank doesn't really have an predators but my larger tank with cardinals has the angles and the cardinals tend to group up together into a ball with a few outliers. When the angels are in a corner then they begin to scatter. I do have 3 serape in that tank who avoid each other as well as 3 head and tail which like wise avoid each other.

mrjohn said:
I just grabbed six pygmy corys and they're never together. I want your fish.
 
  • Thread Starter

mrjohn

Member
jake37 said:
My story with pygmy is very different. I had 6 and picked up 8 more for 14. They are like a flock of bird; they like to sit near the front right corner of the tank. Everytime i walk into the room they all take off going mid tank and hover (as a group) and when i leave they all sit back down as a group. That tank doesn't really have an predators but my larger tank with cardinals has the angles and the cardinals tend to group up together into a ball with a few outliers. When the angels are in a corner then they begin to scatter. I do have 3 serape in that tank who avoid each other as well as 3 head and tail which like wise avoid each other.
Maybe mine just need more? I don't really have the volume for more but I am upgrading the filter to a aquaclear 50 today. I'm at the brink of being overstocked but with the upgraded filtration maybe I can add a few more. I mean, I just grabbed them too so I'm sure they're a bit stressed.
 

jake37

Member
They had the same behavior i described when i only had 6. Probably something about the tank - might very well be that they don't feel a need to stay together in your tank if it is mostly devoid of other fishes ?

mrjohn said:
Maybe mine just need more? I don't really have the volume for more but I am upgrading the filter to a aquaclear 50 today. I'm at the brink of being overstocked but with the upgraded filtration maybe I can add a few more. I mean, I just grabbed them too so I'm sure they're a bit stressed.
 

StarGirl

Member
both are all over the place accept when someone walks by. ;)
 

jake37

Member
Ok. I think the answer is simple. I have social fishes and you all have anti-social fishes.

StarGirl said:
both are all over the place accept when someone walks by. ;)
 
Top Bottom