Emaciated Glofish

Just what the title says. I have a glofish that looks anorexic. He doesn't seem to be eating much if at all, but will play a bit when pestered by the other glows. Otherwise he just hangs out by himself not doing much.

0/0/20 PH=7.6 Temp: 79F
10 Gal
5xGlofish
3xMystery Snails (Added fairly recently, but I doubt this is the cause)

All four of the other glofish seem happy, healthy and hungry.

Internal parasites? (I'm guessing this, but don't want to treat the wrong thing.)
Bacterial?

He looks like the fish on the left, but red:
287.jpg

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited:
The glofish I had looked like the one on the left and the right. It could just be there is not enough room to swim. Glofish are very active and need a lot of space.

Then why would only one be having this problem. All the others are eating fine and playing fine. They have been for several months. Is this one GandhI holding out for a bigger home?

I could move them over to the 29 gal and put the dwarf gourami in the 10 gal, but if it's worms or bacterial I've just infected a second tank.

Then why would only one be having this problem. All the others are eating fine and playing fine. They have been for several months. Is this one GandhI holding out for a bigger home?

I could move them over to the 29 gal and put the dwarf gourami in the 10 gal, but if it's worms or bacterial I've just infected a second tank.

Well if he looks like the fish on the left that is normal. The fish on the right is pregnant I believe. I would keep a close eye on it. Hopefully others will comment soon.

Actually, I took those photos from a research document showing emaciation and dropsy in danio rerio. All 9 of my other danios (I have 5 more in a different tank) aren't nearly as thin. He didn't seem to eat this morning either. All my other danios went nuts.

On my way out to work I noticed a second glofish starting to look similar, swimming slowly (for a danio) and wasn't actively hunting for food.

The first one was coughing up blood and died last night. I've since moved my snails out and dosed with Jungle Internal Parasite Guard. This morning the second one still wasn't eating. If she doesn't perk up by tomorrow morning I'll start round 2 of 3. Wish me luck.

Glofish 2 looked really bad this morning and will probably be dead when I get home. I'll be down to three glows in that tank. I'm supposed to dose again today. We'll see how everything's going when I get home.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom