Elodea Turning Brown

1. D

Dimentio New Member Member

Hi my elodea is turning brown in select places. Is this normal or not. I don't have co2 as i am installing it next week and my parameters are ph 6.8, nitrates 15ppm, temp 26 degrees Celsius. Ammonia and nitrite gave readings of 0 ppm.

Attached Files:

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Maybe a light deficiency.What is the watt:gallon ratio in the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    D

Not sure as this is a used one but i keep it on for about 12 hours a day

4. Discus-Tang

I would recommend 8-10 hours.

5. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

The reason might be that you have it buried. Anacharis is a floating plant, it does root but it would be best to allow it to root itself.

6. Discus-Tang

It can be buried, just no further than the rhizome.

7. bryangar

What? anacharis doesn’t have a rhizome? it’s a long stem.

8. Discus-Tang

Whoops :/

9. OP
    OP
    D

Ah so the bottom leaves die because they are close to the gravel thus the plant might be rooting. Yeah it doesn't have a rhizome for sure.

10. bryangar

They are dying because they are planted into the gravel. Anacharis, if left floating will chose a spot to shoot their roots into and stay there. You can choose the spot but you’ll need to hold them down, but those plants look completely dead. Maybe try salvaging the green parts.

11. OP
    OP
    D

They only have like 5 brown leaves mate ? do five brown leaves equal a completely dead plant ? Don't think so. I can't float them because of the flow in my tank as if i float them they would move all over the place.

12. bryangar

Sorry, they look almost completely brown from the pictures you shared. I guess if it’s only 5 leaves them it should be fine.

13. OP
    OP
    D

probably my phone cause I just checked them and only the bottom leaves are brown. One stem has a couple of brown stems but each stem has white roots on the end. I removed the brown parts and planted them about 1 inch into the substrate (less then before). Hopefully when i add Co2 they recover quicker.