Elodea Nightmare

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by callistra, Dec 17, 2012.

1. callistra

callistra New Member Member

Couple weeks ago or so I got a shipment or elodea plants that may have frozen in shipment. I had to toss several. I put the remainder in a 10g tank with with an Aquatic Life T5 HO hood 2x 18w bulbs. The plant is not recovering for the most part.. the narrow elodea is dropping leaves like crazy and creating quite a mess in my tank. The thicker type is turning brown and looking melty, but it has new growth which looks healthy. I'm giving it about 8 hours light a day. Help?

Attached Files:

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

It is common for some plants to melt when introduced into a new tank, you just need to be patience with them.

Have you thought about putting some fertilizer to help it?

3. OP
    OP
    callistra

Thanks. I'll wait another week then. They started growing a bunch of roots today so maybe they're finally coming around.

I can't use them with my moss balls, unfortunately, and my water is very soft and I'm afraid of causing ph swings with my fish.

Do you happen to know what this is? It looks like a little curl of betta poo (but teeny tiny) and they're all over my plants.. when i try to move the plants they fall off all over the water.. they don't look like they're wiggling like worms or anything. They're stationary and when they fall into the water they don't do anything but float around and eventually fall to the floor. Your site is resizing my image too small to see so you may need to paste the url in a new browser.

[​IMG]

4. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Roots perhaps

5. OP
    OP
    callistra

There are roots, but my roots are all white. They're tons of these little brown things stuck all over some stems and fall off when the plant is moved.. but they seem gone now.. I was just wanting to make sure it wasn't a parasite before my fish got introduced.

6. OP
    OP
    callistra

Well to anyone who was curious I'm pretty sure it's snail poop.. seem to have a little infestation. Moving them out as I find them, but seems to be no real issue. What do you do with snails?! I don't want to kill them..

7. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

You could feed them to something, otherwise I don't know. Why can't you use fertilizer in the tank?

8. OP
    OP
    callistra

Moss balls tend to not like most fertilizers. I've read a lot about moss ball death with various fertilizers, and about how they cause ph swings in soft water. I use Equilibrium but that's it.

9. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Temperature of tank?

10. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know why they wouldn't, algae is a plant. I do know that excel/glutaraldehyde can nuke algae easily so maybe that is part of the issue, idk. Ferts don't cause pH swings, although if it has a sizable amount of ca/mg it will raise the GH (hardness), just like equilibrium does.

Either way elodea/anacharis isn't a very demanding plant so it's surprising that it's acting like this, it's likely due to the issues it had in transit and it's still recovering.

I think different species have different temperature preferences but I have kept a few different ones that thrive more out in the pond in 80s weather all summer but still do fine in upper 60s room temp.

11. OP
    OP
    callistra

Well a lot of fertilizers, like Excel, have anti algae agents in them. I'm not sure otherwise. I just know the moss balls don't do well with the ferts.

The plants are doing well now. Growing like crazy. May need to prune and pass some along soon at this rate. Guess they just had a long adjustment period. Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice