Ellobiopsidae or just plain death?

1. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

This is the first shrimp I have noticed in at least 3 months that has died unexpectantly. Its a female and it looks like she might have some eggs in her and exploded??????
    I know Geoff had this with his shrimp so now I am worried.

ALL of the shrimp in my tank have been in here since day one. Since this is a female, it is one of the offspring of the one male and female I had that gave birth back in March.

What do you all think? All this talk about Ellobiopsidae has me concerned although nothing has been introduced in to the tank since the shrimp.

20160625_092131-1.jpg

2. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

I think if ellobiopsidae killed her, you'd see a heavy infestation of the parasites on her underside.

Here are some pics of my infected shrimp not long before they died.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. OP
    OP
    Junne

Thanks for replying! No, nothing like that - just looked like white fluffy material as if her belly exploded - I think I might even saw a few eggs but not sure. This is what my first female that had the initial batch of babies looked like when she died.
    If so, this mom must have had the babies recently and I DO have a new batch of babies that were born sometime in the last day or so..............

4. Skyy2112

Skyy2112 Valued Member Member

From the photo did she only half molt?

5. OP
    OP
    Junne

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a molt as only her belly was fluffy and it looked like she had eggs. This happened to one of the first moms I had - I had 2 shrimp left ( 1 male, 1 female ) and as soon as she had her babies, she died...........

Don't they only molt before they have eggs?????????

6. Skyy2112

Skyy2112 Valued Member Member

Generally yes.

7. OP
    OP
    Junne

Looking back to when I first got my shrimp, I have seen that its only the females that have given birth that died like this. 3 females, all with the same thing and with new shrimplettes. Sounds coincidental to me or that this is what happens to some mothers..... :(