Ellobiopsidae in cherry shrimp?

blakeugan

hey y’all. it’s been forever since i used fishlore but I didn’t know where else to turn right now. Over the span of the past 6ish months, I have expanded a colony of 8 cherry shrimp to a much larger colony in a well planted fluval spec 3 gallon. I also have three chili rasboras in there for minor population control

anyways, today I removed two shrimp from my tank with what is 100% ellobiopsidae. I didn’t know that word before today because I had to look it up to find out what it is.

I am extremely worried due to the fact that I do not have an extra quarantine tank and am reading that it isuntreatable anyways. I have those two in a separate container and don’t see signs of it in any other shrimp yet. I am keeping a close eye on them in case it does show up.

how do I prevent my entire tank from dying out. I raised these babies myself

I attached a photo of the two I separated just to prove that it is 100% ellobiopsidae

Attachments

• 82AB72CA-DDCB-4600-A6D0-E3C60369811E.jpeg
    82AB72CA-DDCB-4600-A6D0-E3C60369811E.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 22

BigManAquatics

richiep may have some idea for you, he pretty knowledgeable with shrimp stuff

Upvote 0

Elkwatcher

This summer I bought 6 Bloody Mary's from my LFS turned out 5 female and 1 male, they were imported and not locally bred. I noticed ellobiopsidae on 4 of the females only. It doesn't seem to bother the males as much. Unfortunately it isn't curable. I removed them from my quarantine tank at once and euth'd with clove oil. Bought 4 more and told the LFS to check them closely. The shop attendant thought they had green eggs. This batch 2 more females had the disease 2 were ok.

That left me with 3 females and 1 male. Luckily that was the magic number as all females were berried in no time. Now I have 50 new shrimp-lets, lots of them females all very healthy in a 10 gallon. I wish you same luck blakeugan

Attachments

• _MG_8836.JPG
    _MG_8836.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 15
  • _MG_8837.JPG
    _MG_8837.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3305.jpg
    IMG_3305.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 14
  • _MG_6046.JPG
    _MG_6046.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 16
  • _MG_6042.JPG
    _MG_6042.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 1357036255_ShrimpDisease2.thumb.jpg.4011064cf57da504328a273a0ba35ede.jpg
    1357036255_ShrimpDisease2.thumb.jpg.4011064cf57da504328a273a0ba35ede.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

richiep

For your babies to have it tells me it's been in the tank a while and passed from generation to generation unless the disease manifested itself in your tank which I see hard to happen,
There is another disease that looks the same and is treatable called Cladogonium ogishimae but most just euthanize and its not worth the risk of contamination
Only you can stop the spread by taking out any moults or ded shrimp and keep a very close eye on the rest
If you have other shrimp tanks don't us the same nets or equipment in

Upvote 0

richiep

richiep may have some idea for you, he pretty knowledgeable with shrimp stuff
Op as two threads going on this and I answered in the other
Those pictures also tell me that's very advanced so you need to go through your tank very very carefully and take out any infected, dead,or moults.
Don't try treating it, its not worth it
Coradee could you merge these threads please

Upvote 0

blakeugan

Op as two threads going on this and I answered in the other
Those pictures also tell me that's very advanced so you need to go through your tank very very carefully and take out any infected, dead,or moults.
Don't try treating it, its not worth it
Coradee could you merge these threads please

as you can see in the photo, I have many shrimp in there. it’s hard to remove molts and stuff with lots of babies and more on the way. the two I removed were the only two I’ve ever seen with it and I don’t currently see any others withany green on their bellies

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views