Ellioti Cichlid ?

Dexter84

HI everyone!

So today I did my first bought of a fish without looked it up first on the internet.
Dont ask me why...

Its a ElliotI cichlid I don't even know if its a male or female.
At the moment its in my 60 gallon with a Electric blue acara, 2 Blue gourami and a Clown loach. All of them are juvenile. The loach is just in there temorary for some more months to I move to a house and can get a bigger tank with more loaches.

How is the ElliotI aggression and how is it with plants?
Should I get 1 more of the other sex?

Thanks!

CrazedHoosier

HI everyone!

So today I did my first bought of a fish without looked it up first on the internet.
Dont ask me why...

Its a ElliotI cichlid I don't even know if its a male or female.
At the moment its in my 60 gallon with a Electric blue acara, 2 Blue gourami and a Clown loach. All of them are juvenile. The loach is just in there temorary for some more months to I move to a house and can get a bigger tank with more loaches.

How is the ElliotI aggression and how is it with plants?
Should I get 1 more of the other sex?

Thanks!
You seem to have actually ended up with some mid-tempered fish. By ellioti, do you mean the spot-cheek cichlid? The only fish you've mentioned that I've actually kept, is the blue gourami. They can be quite... crazy. I actually just put my last one up for adoption today because it bullied my angelfish and silver dollar fish.

Dexter84

Ye exactly with the spot on its cheek.
Mm I noticed that, I had to split the gouramis up and move the female to my 20 gallon yesterday :/
They were in the 40 gallon before but then the male chased away the female all the time tought lets move them to the new bigger one instead but that was even worse since I have less plants and stuff in there. I also did see the male gourami slightly chased away the ElliotI yesterday when it came to close. Maybe I have to give it away and put the female back in there..

CrazedHoosier

Ye exactly with the spot on its cheek.
Mm I noticed that, I had to split the gouramis up and move the female to my 20 gallon yesterday :/
They were in the 40 gallon before but then the male chased away the female all the time tought lets move them to the new bigger one instead but that was even worse since I have less plants and stuff in there. I also did see the male gourami slightly chased away the ElliotI yesterday when it came to close. Maybe I have to give it away and put the female back in there..
Yep, the 3-spot gourami (blue, opaline, gold, tiger), can all be extremely aggressive. In my experience, switching to a larger tank won't even stop the aggression. I've heard of people diminishing the aggression by basically overstocking the tank with gouramis, but I wouldn't reccomend it. You could probably easily end up with a civil war. The 3-spot gourami also typically won't get along with other gouramis, even if they are opposite sex. Check and see if the female is peaceful alone with the cichlids. You may indeed need to return the male. If everything calms down with the gouramis, I think there is a good chance everyone will get along even in adulthood!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
devsi
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Ryanster
Replies
Views