Eliminating Diatoms

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Dom90, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Thinking about using Seachem Phosguard to get rid of diatoms

I'm thinking about using Seachem Phosguard to get rid of diatoms that are building up in my tank also. But would this affect the amount of phosphates that are left for my plants?

2. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

Don't you use Flourish?

3. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

I have Otos in my planted tank. They make short work of diatoms. I as well have high phosphates in the tap. I have phosguard in my beta tank the diatoms have at least stopped where they are and aren't getting any worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    Dom90

I do, but the levels of Fluorish are quite low, it's under the assumption that you will get most of your nitrates and phosphates from fish waste.

5. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Flourish would provide the minimal amount you need. Unless you have a high tech planted tank your plants will be fine. I've had the phosguard in my filters now for a month almost and my plants have not suffered from it, just the brown diatoms are gone.

6. OP
    OP
    Dom90

I see... do they sell it at Petsmart? Planning to make a trip down there later today to buy a glass lid for my 29g. The diatoms are going crazy, I wipe them down everyday and even with the cleanup crew, it's spreading like wildfire.

7. OP
    OP
    Dom90

So I'm reading about PhosGuard on the Seachem website but it doesn't tell me how long it lasts. Any ideas?

8. CindiL

Get yourself a phosphate test and when they start rising again is when you replace them. The easy answer is it depends on how high your phosphates are when you start and how high they may be in your tap water.
    I bought the 100ml bags and have not had to replace mine yet but my water is not your water :)

For best results, PhosGuard™ should be placed so as to maximize the flow of water through it. It may be used in a canister filter, box filter, or any high flow area of a trickle filter. In some situations it may be necessary to use in a filter bag. Use 250 mL (~1 cup) for every 300 L (75 gallons*). Leave product in place for 4 days, then test phosphate or silicate concentrations with either MultiTest: Phosphate™ or MultiTest: Silicate™. If the concentration of the component you are trying to decrease has not dropped to around 0.02 mg/L, then replace the PhosGuard™, otherwise leave in place until levels begin to climb again. As long as concentrations remain under control, the product is not exhausted. Each 500 mL of PhosGuard™ treats over 600 L (150 gallons*) (i.e. will remove up to 30 mg/L phosphate in 600 L (150 gallons*) of water, depending on the initial phosphate/silicate concentrations and the current biological load. Over treating is not recommended. PhosGuard™ is not an exchange resin, it does not release anything into the water. It does not leach phosphate or silicate back into the water and may be removed, dried, and returned to service until exhausted. Continuous use of small quantities is better than intermittent use of larger quantities.

9. OP
    OP
    Dom90

I think I read that, but it doesn't take into consideration if your tank is planted or not. So what's a safe phosphate level to leave for plants?

10. CindiL

The phosphates in flourish are at .01%, so a very small amount. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

11. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Ok I'll just get the PhosGuard, put some in my filter and worry about the diatoms first, you're right:)

12. CindiL

You'll be so happy once they're gone! I have ZERO now, such a relief. I still have some green algae here and there but I feel like thats more normal and its kinda pretty so I don't bother with it and the fish love to peck at it.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

The diatoms are brown correct? Is that what covers my plants and makes them look so dark?

14. CindiL

Yeah, they're brown and are often slimy though not necessarily so. Sometimes they're brown green. They "usually" come off easily though there are many different varieties.

15. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Ok so after reading some other threads and doing a bit of my own research, I took the first steps toward eliminating this nuisance.

Got a bottle of PhosGuard at a LFS around here and put them into two mesh bags and put them into my filter. Will update as I see progress.
    CindiL KarenLM

16. CindiL

Hope it goes well for you. Definitely worth ordering the phosphate test too so that you know when it has quit working. Or I guess if diatoms show up again that works too but that might be waiting too long to change it.

17. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Would it make sense to order the silicate test stated on the bottle? Multi-Test: Silicate?

I guess it would make sense to know what my phosphates were also since I have a planted tank.

18. CindiL

Maybe both? I only have the phosphate test but I know diatoms cannot live without silicates. Once they go down, the diatoms start dying off.

19. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't bother with the silicate test. There are obviously there if you have diatoms. New glass tanks inevitably have them.

Is this in your planted tank?

20. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Yep this is the planted tank. I was hesitant to buy the silicate test. It's $17 even on Amazon!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice