Elephantnose

1. M

Marine Man Valued Member Member

I am diverging from my discus plan (I have a plan and am getting them this summer) and was wondering what you knew about elephantnoses. They look really cool. What can they be kept with? What are they like? Do they need lots of care like the discus?

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Freshwater Fish Forums to Oddball fish section of the forum. :)
    Thanks!
    Ken

2. jbdub

jbdub Valued Member Member

I was looking into this for a while. If you do some google searches you can find quite a bit of info.
    What I picked up was they can be quite difficult to care for. They're very sensitive to light so the tank should be dim. A tube will be needed for them to make a home out of. They get huge so you'll need a big tank, i think its minimum 70g. Also they use electrical pulses to hunt so it's best to just have one, they can have "interference" problems when kept in multiples within a closed space(aquariums).
    That's just an overview there's a lot more info out there. Also I'm sure someone here has some first hand experience which would be far more helpful :)

3. OP
    OP
    M

what about its tank mates

4. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Marine Man,
    It sounds like a lot more research is required on this species.

I don't know that too many fishlorians would have direct experience.

Some links I found through a google search are:

Fishlore Magazine Article on elephantnose: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/june09/elephantnose-fish.htm

Guide to Elephantnose: http://voices.yahoo.com/guide-elephant-nose-fish-home-aquarium-853039.html

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peters'_elephantnose_fish

Old fishlore thread: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...9-tank-mates-elephant-nose-fish-plz-help.html

Hope that helps get you on your way.

5. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi,

I've had a bit of experience with Elephants. What tank size are you thinking about?? They need a minimum of 55g for a single fish but larger is recommended because they can get quite large. They can be kept with most non-aggressive fish but they have been known to live peacefully with Rift Lake Cichlids. I would keep them with fish which they are found with in the wild. I've kept them with Mollies Guppies, Rasboras, Corries (not really a good idea), most Loaches, Angelfish, Festivums, young SA cichlids, Giant Gouramis, Florida Garrs, and a couple other types of fish. My group of Elephants moved quite a bit as I was trying to convince them to breed but they didn't really want to haha.

Elephants are great fish. They usually take a while to warm up to you but once they do you can train them to eat out of your hand. Usually they hide during the day and come out at night after the tank lights have gone off but there are some exceptions to that. Mine used to only come out at night when I wasn't around but after a couple of months they'd come out of their caves to greet me and beg for food. Feeding can be a bit difficult to start off with. As most Elephants found in pet shops are wild caught they should be fed foods which would most likely be found in their native environment. Live blackworms were a hit with mine until I weened them onto manufactured foods.

Yes, they do need quite a bit of care. They need pristine water. I think that they need even cleaner water than Discus. I did daily waterchanges for them but that isn't completely necessary. Two to three large waterchanges a week would be fine as long as you have a LOT of filtration on their tank.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask :).

6. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

So one may assume these are a fish to be introduced to a very established tank, with fish already in there for a few months or so?

7. OP
    OP
    M

Hi guys, thanks for everything but I have already made my desicion. Check out my thread Discus vs. F8P to see my final discus selection.