Elephant nose fish ?

WhatsTheScoop

Hello ! Recemtly was looking into more oddball fish and fell in love with how silly elephant nose fish look. I don’t like to buy fish without doing research or asking here if it would work so... I have a 65g planted tank, I run 2 filters a marineland penguin 300and an aquaclear 70. The tank inhabitants as of now are 5 albino corydoras, 1 opaline gourami, 9 zebra danios, 2 giant danios ( I know they’re supposed to be in groups but they school with the regular danios just fine ) 1 BN pleco, 6 tiger barbs and 7 otocinclus catfish. I do 20-30% water changes each week, not sure if the tank is right for this fish but might as well ask. The tank has been up for a year now.

chromedome52

Elephant Nose is an extremely intelligent and social animal. People often buy just one, and find out the hard way that it really needs its own kind for company. I think the tank might be too crowded to add a fish that gets as large as the Elephant nose. They also need a sand substrate, as that nose extension is used to probe for worms and other bugs.

I would recommend keeping Elephant nose in a group, in a larger tank, with few if any tankmates. Given the cost of a single, a group is hard to justify for the average aquarist.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
immaman1992
  • Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
Replies