Elephant Nose Fish

Discussion in 'Oddball Fish' started by Walkerxiii, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Walkerxiii

Walkerxiii New Member Member

Hey need some advise I have got 2 elephant nose fish in my cichlid tank but all they seem to do is hide. Just looking to see if this is normal behaviour and they don't seem to eat but don't know if they only eat when the tank lights are out?

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    This is normal when it comes to new fish,they should start eating and getting more active in a couple of days.

What cichlids are you keeping them with? They are better kept with more peaceful fish like larger Tetra species.

Here is a care sheet about them:
    Elephantnose Fish

3. OP
    OP
    Walkerxiii

This is my stock list

2 strawberry aulonacara
    2 bristlenose plec
    2 elephant nose
    1 German blue ram
    1 gold ram
    1 red parrot
    2 blue acara
    2 angels

4. Ed204

What tank size do you have? It sounds like you need a pretty large tank to house all those fish.

5. OP
    OP
    Walkerxiii

I have a 55gal tank and have my temp sitting at 75 to lower aggression. Pleco are both 2 inch in size but will rehome 1 when they get bigger

6. Ed204

Are you planning to upgrade any time soon? Because I would strongly advise to, your fish can grow to pretty big sizes.

By the way, I don't really think that lowering the temp decreases agression, but I could be wrong.

7. OP
    OP
    Walkerxiii

I know the sizes these fish grow to as I looked up all these fish before purchasing the only fish I never was the elephant nose as this was my partner who got them. I don't plan on upgrading soon as the only issue I should really have is territorial problems if fish decide to spawn but with my temp being lower than the ideal temp hopefully I can prolong the process

8. Ed204

Elephant nose fish can grow big, they can grow up to 9-13 inches

9. OP
    OP
    Walkerxiii

Yeah I have been reading up on them lately but will most likely have to rehome once get bigger but will keep them until they do of course. Just need to keep them happy and enjoy them until they get too big

10. Ed204

Alright, I believe that they will reach their full size in 2-3 years.

11. OP
    OP
    Walkerxiii

Thanks for the info mate

12. Ed204

Anytime and glad to help! :)

13. Jess21444

Jess21444 New Member Member

Have they a cave of some sort in the tank.? They love to hide in them, as there not a huge fan of light☺️

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice