Elephant Ear Betta fin tear, will it heal? Question

1. wannj Initiate Member

I have a Elephant Ear Betta, he was great condition when I purchased him, but I woke up one morning recently, and his right fin seems to be tore, will it heal or do I need to buy something to help it heal?

2. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

The first thing to do is to try to figure out what caused it to tear, such as plastic plants or other decor that can snag a fin. This is an all too common problem.

If there is no sign of infection, more frequent (even daily) water changes are the best medicine. I usually treat fin damage with aquarium salt (1 TBSP/5 gallons). Then after just frequent water changes.

3. fishingdeep Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore wannj!!! This is a great place to start to answer your questions. We will ask about all the things you never thought of but we can't solve anything without knowing some basic facts. I think a good water test would be the first thing that will come up. So how is your water and how do you test it? Again, welcome

4. wannj Initiate Member

ill test it when I get home from work, I bought a master testing kit from API, so it should be accurate. thanks

5. Parker Corso Initiate Member

First thing is to try and find out what tore it, another fish, plant, sharp corner on tank etc. Look at the tear and see how large it is. It should heal back in a few week or weeks depending on the tear. If it is very bad it may not heal. Make sure to watch the water, if the water goes crazy fungus can easily get on the cut and kill the fish. There are normally medicines to help heal the fish. If it is another fish move them apart until the hurt fish is fully healed back. Good luck with your fish, I hope he is ok :) P.S. I would do a 20% water change to make sure the water stays ok while he heals

6. wannj Initiate Member

so I get home to check my water, and my betta was up against the heater with his head out of the water, I go scared and quickly moved him to my 20 gal tank. once he got in there he was swimming ok, but he sees his old tank mates and the German Blue Rams and puffs up like crazy. the ammonia on the 2 gallon was almost 80 ppm, and that's way to high, I gotta do water change, but I feel like maybe I put my other fish at risk now, he chased one under the rock and tore his scale on the side. I know im a rookie, but what do I do now? put him back in betta bowl after water change? and how much should I change?

7. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

With 80 ppm ammonia, I would do a 100% water change. Then I suggest you try TSS to cycle the tank.

8. FiscCyning Member Member

With those ammonia readings it definitely needs a 100% water change.

9. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your betta, I would defintely do a large water change to reduce the amount of ammonia in your tank.The API test kit does not ready anything over 8.0PPM, so im assuming you meant to post 8PPM not 80PPM correct?

I've also moved your thread to the betta's section of the forum. Welcome! Thanks.

10. wannj Initiate Member

yes, I did mean 8.0ppm thanks

11. Clement Chee Initiate Member

With bigger fins, the bigger the chance of getting torn.