Eleocharis Acicularis 'mini' Help.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Cpurser, Mar 24, 2019.

1. CpurserNew MemberMember

Eleocharis acicularis "Mini". Does anyone know anything about this plant? I've seen it mentioned here and there and I liked its look and I think it would be a good addition to my aquarium but Im having trouble finding out much about its requirements. Any information about this plant would be useful but most importantly I need to know about light, substrate needs, CO2 needs, and fertilizer needs.

2. BotWell Known MemberMember

A quick search using the name will lead you to a ton of websites about it. Here’s one for example.

3. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Welcome to fishlore! E. acicularis is one of the two dwarf hairgrass species, with E. parvula being the other. Parvula is smaller but the acicularis mini is even smaller than parvula. All dwarf hairgrasses prefer an aquasoil substrate with med-light light and CO2 for optimal carpeting, but these things aren't absolutely required. You just may not get the absolute best out of them if they're missing one or two of those components. Good light is probably the most important component.

Here's some more info:

4. CpurserNew MemberMember

Many of the sites I found from google had contradicting information (I did of course google the plant before asking the question) and these site also did not have some of the information I was interested in. I am also interested to hear any additional information or advice that people on this forum might could offer. I am currently technical putting together my first aquarium so I have much to learn and any information would most likely be news to me. My two biggest questions about this plant involves its substrate/fertilizer needs (does it need specific types of substrate to grow in and does it mostly feed from its roots) and its CO2 needs (It seems to be a medium CO2 plant or a plant that it is recommended but maybe not required. I am unsure what a medium CO2 plant means or what not adding CO2 will do to this plant and its growth.) I have some guesses about its needs but I am not sure and I would like to be sure before I buy it. To clarify I am not lazily asking anyone to research this plant for me, I am just asking if anyone has experience with this plant and if they would like to share that experience.

5. CpurserNew MemberMember

Thank you for the reply. That substrate u mentioned. The aquasoil. What sort of substrate is that? Is that a semi fine sand/gravel sort of deal?

6. CpurserNew MemberMember

Thank you for the reply.

7. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Aquasoil is a type of aquarium plant soil, but there are many brands. ADA Amazonia, UNS Controsoil, Tropica soil, Fluval stratum
    Availability also depends on where you're located