Electronic testing

1. grnsev4me Member Member

Can someone point me in the direction of an electronic tester to test Ph ammonia nitrites and nitrates?? Any help would be great thanks!!

2. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

3. chromedome52 Well Known Member Member

I've got electronic meters for pH and hardness, but I've never heard of one for ammonia/nitrite/nitrates. If they make one, I'd be tempted to actually test for those things!

4. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, I have a digital photometer that does Alkalinity, ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, chlorine, copper, phosphates, chloride. It is made by Industrial Test Systems (www.sensafe.com), they make a bunch of different photometers. It is highly accurate. It remembers your last 20 tests for each parameters which is nice to scroll through.

I initially felt bad spending that much money but I have used it so much and now that I have a pond am using it even more so it was worth it to me. The meter plus all the regents is less expensive on Amazon though there is a ton of information on their website along with all the different meters.

https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-T..._SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=Y09BB4BMHNVDJEWS8YXG

5. grnsev4me Member Member

Yeah that's a little pricey for me....I think I'll just stick with the chemical testing for now. I'm just having a hard time telling the colors specialy with the ammonia if u look at it through the side it looks very light green!! But if u look at it through the top it looks yellow

6. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I think they say to hold it against the white background for the most accurate color match.

7. grnsev4me Member Member

Well if that's the case I definitely have .25 of ammonia... and also when I test my water for nitrate I get a reading of anywhere between 10 and 20 ppm but when I had it checked at the lfs he got nothing??? Guess I was just looking for a easier but yet inexpensive way to check my water....

8. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Is it easier/faster to use than the master test kit?

9. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

What did he use to test?

Way easier because you can start the test and walk away and it reads it on its own timer system. They ammonia, nitrites, nitrates still take up to 5 minutes to read but because you don't have to be there to read them or shake them and mix them, it doesn't really matter. It has an auto shutoff and sometimes I come back when its already shut off but because it stores it to memory, it pops it right back up.

Its also way more accurate and specific, giving you numbers in between the broad numbers on the API tests. For instance my nitrite in my pond has been .10-.15 which doesn't even register on the API test but lets me know I'm not 100% cycled for nitrites yet. I haven't decided if thats a good or bad thing ha ha because if I was using the liquid kit it wouldn't even show up and yet I worry about it.

10. LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

Sounds like something I might invest in in the future!

11. grnsev4me Member Member

He used just the regular master kit

12. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Its possible they are not shaking bottle #2 like they are supposed to! I would trust yours over their 0 reading.

What is your ph? When was this tank setup and cycled? I didn't see any information on your profile.

13. grnsev4me Member Member

The nitrate readings are coming from my new 75 that was a 55 I just transferred everything and added new water and a 2nd canister filter....the ammonia ready is coming from my 20L it's about 3 mths running (you helped me a lot with both tanks lol)and the guy at the lfs shook the bottle but I didn't really pay no mind to how long....and my Ph in the 75 is 7.6 steady and a 7.8 steady in the 20L..

14. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I remember helping you but I can't remember the specifics lol. There are so many tanks here ha ha.

Anyways, I wouldn't worry about the .25 ammonia in your ph as long as it doesn't increase. Many people get slight (.25) ammonia readings for awhile after their tank cycles. I am not sure exactly why that it but it happened to me also in the beginning of my first tank and then one day it was gone.