Electronic/digital Ph Test

HappiestCamper

What would y'all recommend? We're over playing the color match guessing game.

sinned4g63

Can get one just like a TDS meter on Amazon for probably 20 bucks. Can't speak for accuracy though and I do believe you have to calibrate them but I'm not positive. I always figured the chemicals don't lie even though they are a pain to read sometimes.. lol

coralbandit

The Hannas are the standard for most colorimeter test ..
They make a decent PH meter .
HI98108 Waterproof pHep+ Pocket Tester - Hanna Instruments

stella1979

This is the one I want... I think.

I previously bought a cheapy pH meter on Amazon, think it was $15, and it broke before the 4th use. Sooo, I am reluctant to trust and wishy-washy about which I want to invest it. Hanna is the standard but I decided against it for some reason. Sorry, I can't recall what really turned me off of it... perhaps it's only because yes, you do have to calibrate them, and often if you'll use it regularly for testing wildly different pH readings. That is exactly what I want to do by testing a reef tank (around 8pH) and of plant medium and mixed ferts (around 5-6pH). The Apera linked above comes with a care kit.

rugerjr

The Hannas are the standard for most colorimeter test ..
They make a decent PH meter .
HI98108 Waterproof pHep+ Pocket Tester - Hanna Instruments

I have the Hanna PH tester and calcium tester and don’t really like either. Certainly not the calcium tester for how expensive it is. The calcium test is only as accurate as the quality and consistency of the distilled water you are using. I went back to the RedSea Pro test kits. Where you get 100 refill reagents for less than the cost of only 25 refill reagents for the Hanna. For hobby grade/quality test equipment, that’s way steep. I hope I’m not coming across wrong or as being cocky. I just wanted to point out some things that I didn’t know/realize before I bought my Hanna equipment.

stella1979

I have the Hanna PH tester and calcium tester and don’t really like either. Certainly not the calcium tester for how expensive it is. The calcium test is only as accurate as the quality and consistency of the distilled water you are using. I went back to the RedSea Pro test kits. Where you get 100 refill reagents for less than the cost of only 25 refill reagents for the Hanna. For hobby grade/quality test equipment, that’s way steep. I hope I’m not coming across wrong or as being cocky. I just wanted to point out some things that I didn’t know/realize before I bought my Hanna equipment.
I've also heard of some aggravation with Hanna checkers, not so much with the quality, but with the possibility of human error making them imprecise. Isn't taking the bulk of human error out of the equation the exact reason why we will pay more for better testing equipment?? So, having read these complaints about Hanna checkers often enough to give me a bad feeling about them, well, idk if I really would be upgrading if I switched from RedSea to Hanna... and you certainly are not wrong nor cocky to share your opinions, especially based on experience.

AvalancheDave

Avoid the super cheap stuff. I think this is a good choice:

Get some pH 4 and 7 calibration fluid (pH 10 has a short shelf life) and a beaker. Stray currents can sometimes mess with readings if you test directly in the tank. Keep the probe from drying out and avoid prolonged immersion in the sample. Do not store or soak it in RO water like some people suggest.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CindiL
Replies
Views
Salem
  • Question
Replies
Views
PNWBettas
Replies