Electrolytes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm using spring water for water changes on a 10 gal. tank that is on the 8th day of cycling. Using spring water because tap water has a 1ppm ammonia reading. I have 2 guppies, & 2 pepper cats, in the tank. Just found out aquarium salt was bad for catfish. Would it be ok to use a vitamin-mineral block in tank sense spring water may be low on these?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It wouldn't be horrible, but if you can get your hands on VitaChem, that would be better.

Also, once your aquarium cycles, you should be able to switch to tap water, since the nitrifying bacteria will quickly deal with any ammonia you have. My water starts with 5ppm nitrates, which is probably worse than 1ppm ammonia (though I'm not sure... I'll have to look into that). Just be sure to make the change over a couple of weeks.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would be inclined to do an EC test (electro conductivity) & GH test on the spring water before I decided wether or not to add any minerals to it or not. Being ground water there are probably actually quite alot of minerals in it. Spring water is often marketed as having a high mineral content & your spring water may well be the same.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would be inclined to do an EC test (electro conductivity) & GH test on the spring water before I decided wether or not to add any minerals to it or not. Being ground water there are probably actually quite alot of minerals in it. Spring water is often marketed as having a high mineral content & your spring water may well be the same.
Good point. Neither the vitamin block nor the vitachem would be harmful, even if the spring water was high in minerals. However, they could very well be unnecessary (I still use VitaChem, despite the fact that my water is super-high in minerals).

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They sell meters for them. They run an electrical charge through a test sample to determine how easily the electricity passes through the water.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My EC meter cost me $120aus. Rather than buy one take a sample of the water you want to use to your nearest hydroponic supply store & ask them to do the test for you. It won't cost you any money & only takes a few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom