Electricity costs of fish-keeping?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yeoy, Dec 1, 2012.

1. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

Gday all,

Recently in NSW, Australia there has been a lot of media focus on electricity companies charging more, the State Government allowing these companies to charge excess, and regular increases in bills.

I have only ever had 1 tank set up at a time (so far), but we are generally quite conservative on electricity in general and haven't noticed any great increases.

I was wondering if anyone has BIG power bills directly because of their fish, and how they manage it?

I don't know about North America, but here electricity bills can be $500+ a quarter(3 months) for small houses/units.

2. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

3. OsoWell Known MemberMember

According to the electricity company I use about 8.59 kWh ($1.15) in electricity a day. That is my two tanks, fridge, and lights all running.

4. TerraWell Known MemberMember

My mom's electric bill is regularly $250-350 per month :p Mine tends to hover around $65-75/month for a 2 bedroom apartment. I noticed an increase the last 3 months - which coincides with my fish tanks being bought - but I also setup a 2nd computer for my son at the same time. It's not too bad with the 3 tanks + extra computer compared to what it was, $5-10 or so a month higher.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice