Electrical question: adding in-line switch to filter.

MoshJosh

I want to stop crawling on the ground to unplug my hang on back filters every time I do a water change. Can I just snip the cords and throw in an in-line power switch. . . Like the ones intended for a lamp???

kansas

I got an extension cord that has a switch built into it.

BigManAquatics

I want to stop crawling on the ground to unplug my hang on back filters every time I do a water change. Can I just snip the cords and throw in an in-line power switch. . . Like the ones intended for a lamp???
If you know somewhat what you are doing, should be fairly easily do-able. Otherwise, like kansas said, or plug all the filters into a surge protector so you can flip that switch.

John58ford

I am good with electrical stuff, but for the basics I can't beat the price of a thrift shop surge strip. I do custom wire and switch all my led/DC stuff but not the pumps or other 60hz AC.

MoshJosh

All right, I followed everyone’s advice, just ordered an extension cord with an in-line switch. In a way this will be better because I can attach all the filters to one switch and turn them all off and on before and after the water change. Thanks!

Donthemon

I have my filters and lights on wireless smart plugs. I just tell Alexa to turn aquarium filter off.

PAcanis

I plug the light into it's own socket and the surge strip into the other. That way the light stays on and the filters and heater are turned off when I flip the switch. I didn't see heater mentioned yet, but it's a good idea to turn that off if it is exposed by draining water.

But yes, an inline switch would work, too. Radio Shack used to sell that kind of stuff, but they all closed by me. I'm sure they would sell them on Ebay.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
AndyP
  • Question