Electrical Outlet & Aquarium Safety

EmuhLeigh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi! I am new to the forms so I hope I am posting this in the right place. I recently purchased a double-stand for my 29 gallon planted aquarium in hopes that one day I can have another one on the bottom. I'm just wondering if its a big safety risk to have one on the bottom because of where the electrical outlet is located? Thank you in advance!
(I had to upload the picture as an attachment because it wouldn't let me upload it as an image)

11650825_1592520050972931_110410831_n.jpg

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would be more worried that the stand is not rated to hold that much weight. Your looking at around 300-350 lbs, and could be more or less depending on the substrate ( I can't tell from the picture. )

Is that stand specifically made for tanks?

As for the electrical outlet, you could always get a plastic covering for it if you think water would get on it/near it. It's always good to have it protected just in case of an accident, etc

EmuhLeigh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Junne said:
I would be more worried that the stand is not rated to hold that much weight. Your looking at around 300-350 lbs, and could be more or less depending on the substrate ( I can't tell from the picture. )

Is that stand specifically made for tanks?

As for the electrical outlet, you could always get a plastic covering for it if you think water would get on it/near it. It's always good to have it protected just in case of an accident, etc

Yes it is! I ordered it from Doctors Foster & Smiths.

alink

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldnt be worried about the weight. I would however flip the circuit breaker for that outlet when doing any maintenance. Better safe than sorry..

EmuhLeigh

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
alink said:
I wouldnt be worried about the weight. I would however flip the circuit breaker for that outlet when doing any maintenance. Better safe than sorry..
Thank you! I didn't think about that.

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you might want to put a better drip loop in the top plug in the set up you have right now.

MtnTiger

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I use a multi socket surge protector that hangs from the back of the stand. This forces all the electrical connections into a loop.

You can pick them up for $9 - $19, depending on the length of the cord, at any of the big box stores.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom