Electric Yellow Hiding

Discussion in 'Electric Yellow Cichlid' started by Jake the Fish, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Jake the Fish

Jake the FishValued MemberMember

Today one of the electric yellows I got yesterday, was hiding on top of the filter. There's a little gap above my heater from where the tube comes out of and its underwater. The other two came up to him but he chased them away and went back to the same spot. I'm really worried as these are my first electric yellow's. Is there something wrong?

The water parameters are:

pH-7.9
    Ammonia-0
    Nitrites-0
    Nitrates-under 0.2

I just fed them their dinner and the one hiding came out to eat.
    At the moment he is just swimming near the filter, near his hiding spot.

:animal0068:I've merged your posts since they were back to back with no response between.
    Thanks!
    Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2010
  2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Jake,

Since the fish are new, give them time to acclimate to their new environment. Glad to hear that he came out of hiding. :)

Ken

3. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

+1 a48
    A lot of new fish hide/get shy when introduced to their new homes. (Like being the new kid at school [no pun intended].

Give him time [sometimes a month] to get settled, and worth noting, does he have other hiding opportunities (rocks/caves etc)? some cichlids love their rocks/caves to hide in.

I haven't had cichlids myself, but my DG was very shy for the first few weeks.

4. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

african cichlids need to be overstocked....that way they are just chasing everyone instead of just the weakest one.....hes probably being bullied as the other 2 have paired up....you want 1m to 3-4f and again, overstocking is key with these buggers.....hope things work out!

5. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

Well they were my first lot so I will probably get more this week (Hoping to get some Johanni's). The other 2 came up to him earlier and he just chased them away.
    I don't understand why he'd hide near the filter when there is a THR, driftwood and a terracotta pot. At the moment I think I have 1 male and 2 females but I'm not 100% sure.

I'll try and add another rock or two this weekend.

6. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

I just noticed the electric yellow that's hiding has some white fluff on his head.

7. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

White fluff sounds like a fungal infection....i would add anymore fish until youre current fish are settled and healthy.

8. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

Don't you mean wouldn't?

9. Jaysee

wouldnt is what i meant, yes.

i know weve been over this before, but i still dont think your tank is cycled. under 1 ppm of nitrates is not a good sign....

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  10. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

Oops I forgot to update that one, thats my 10gallon tank.

Although my 43g has been cycled, I asked Aquarist48 and Furallicah and they said yes. I put my texas holey rock in and put food in every day and it worked!

11. Jaysee

oh yeah, that was another tank....you lose so much on a phone vs a computer.

12. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice