Electric Yellow African Chiclids Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by RAM3234, Apr 23, 2018.

1. RAM3234New MemberMember

I am getting some electric yellow African chiclids soon and I want to know all the stuff that would have been nice to know when you first got them. I am putting them in a 75 gallon. Anything really. Thanks a lot!

2. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

Lots of filtration....lots
    Hikari gold when they get older
    chopped shrimp and tilapia for a starter and when they get older
    basic pH 7.8-8.2
    Lots of hiding spots
    Anubias not java moss
    small gravel or sand

I could go on and on

3. RAM3234New MemberMember

Thanks any info will help

4. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

No, definitely no meaty foods for African mbuna. Eating a lot of high protein foods can lead to malawi bloat, which is a killer. Even the packets and cans (not freeze dried) of blood worms specifically say not to feed them to African cichlids. Stick to spirulina flakes and pellets, Cobalt brand makes great flakes and pellets specifically for African cichlids, my fish love them and have zero issues with it.

Yellow labs are mbuna, meaning rock dwelling fish. In the wild they live among rock piles and this is where they feel safest. I suggest you have either smooth gravel or, more preferably, sand and then piles of large rocks on either end of the tank. I've tried live plants with mbuna (yellow labs included) and my fish quickly found out that the youngest leaves were tender and easily chewed off. Those poor anubias were removed a long while back and have since recovered.

Africans do best with kept in over stocked conditions, meaning you can safely have a good 30-40 mbuna in a 75gal tank. Of course this means extra filtration and larger water changes.

You will want to have a proper gender ratio, with at least 2-4 females per male as males get very aggressive during spawning. With all the spawning going on you will end up with fry, but not all will survive, maybe a few here and there. Not a problem really, just let nature take its course unless you are willing to have a few separate rearing tanks for fry.

5. Seth15Valued MemberMember

Hello @RAM3234 , if you are referring to labidochromis careuleus, they are an african mbuna cichlid. They require hard water, PH of around 7.6-8.6. They are a mbuna which means they are herbivorous, feed them a diet of high quality spiralina flakes or pellets. Provide sand as a substrate, they dig. They will eat or destroy most live plants, java fern or anubias may survive. Provide hiding places and retreats to escape from one another because They are semi aggressive. Overstock them to minimize aggression. They are not as aggressive as many other mbuna species, if you plan to have tank mates I can further explain.

Tilapia or chopped shrimp would be a poor choice to feed them. They are a herbivorous species. Feeding a diet with too much protein can result in malawi bloat.

6. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

oddly....my yellow labs like shrimp.

7. Seth15Valued MemberMember

Just because they like it doesn't mean it's good for their health.;)

I personally would not recommend feeding them shrimp, tilapia, bloodworms, etc.

8. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Lol, I'm sure they love it but my dogs love chocolate too even though it isn't good for them.

9. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

ill agree bloodworms are asking for trouble.

just realized i forgot the veggie matter in my shrimp tilapia mix thats why i got push back. The shrimp tilapia is only a small portion for the protein side of the house. mostly it is spriulina and or fine chopped leaf greens. i use one of those old coffee bean shredders and have zip lock bags full of my mix. Saves money doing it in bulk.

10. RAM3234New MemberMember

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice