Electric Shock From Aqueon Pro Heater

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could you plug a surge protector strip into one of these and it be ok? Tagging the electrician
@ForceTen
GFCI Inline with 18" Single Outlet Cord

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok the amazon product is a gfci. That should be plugged into a wall outlet with a ground. A surge protector is protecting equipment. So the surge protector plugged into the gfci will protect what’s plugged into the surge strip. This is the way mine are set up.

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
86 ssinit said:
Ok the amazon product is a gfci. That should be plugged into a wall outlet with a ground. A surge protector is protecting equipment. So the surge protector plugged into the gfci will protect what’s plugged into the surge strip. This is the way mine are set up.
Thanks for the info Tom!!! I really appreciate it!!!

ForceTen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wraithen said:
Thanks for that info, even though the webpage says, with a hint of irony, "Currently (hoho!) Unavailable"!

Also, something which was bothering me was if it trips off for some reason and leaves your fish without filtration or heating?

Can someone with more knowledge address this issue please? Thanks. A good setup is pretty reliable. I had 1 gfci that tripped a few times a year. It did this because I was kind of close to the limit, I assume, or my freezer has a minor fault somewhere. That said, you just monitor your temp, or the fact that your filter is suddenly silent. I have my heaters, a circulation pump and a filter on one outlet that is controlled by a light switch. I only notice that someone flipped the switch by seeing the heaters aren't displaying temps or my thermometer is showing a lower than normal temp. It's super handy for water changes and feeding times though. I'm not even sure why it exists. The top of the outlet is on a switch. The bottom of the same outlet is not. Works well for me though. Kind of worried I'm overloading the circuit but it's never tripped so I'm guessing I'm ok.
This was my concern. AC filters do not self prime as far as I can see. Kinda sucks since we cannot be home for every little power surge.
The receptacle on the switch is for a lamp or ceiling fan. Or for anything you want to turn on and off from the switch. Many homes and apts do not have a ceiling fixture/light.
So they switch the top of the receptacle. I think its one of the great ideas.

86 ssinit said:
Thanks for that info, even though the webpage says, with a hint of irony, "Currently (hoho!) Unavailable"!
Also, something which was bothering me was if it trips off for some reason and leaves your fish without filtration or heating?
Can someone with more knowledge address this issue please? Thanks.
If you loose power, the AquaClear filter will run dry.
If a GFCI trips there is an issue.

The only way to reset them is the press the button. So yes if it goes out and your not there it will stay off till the button is pressed. I have a WiFi camera on my tanks which I check regularly. If they were off I would have someone go in and check. Not sure but I wouldn’t be surprised if there is some sort of WiFi one that is resettable.
You could use a UPS like used for computers for this exact issue. So the computer can ride through power glitches. Smooths out glitches and allows filter and equipment to continue to run during a power surge. Just for a minute or two.

WTFish? said:
Could you plug a surge protector strip into one of these and it be ok? Tagging the electrician
@ForceTen
GFCI Inline with 18" Single Outlet Cord
Yes. Absolutely. GFCI comes in many differing forms. Breakers, receptacles and built in like your link.
Looks like a good choice.
I install GFCI receptacles. But anyway you can get GFCI. Get it.

86 ssinit said:
Yes. GFCI receptacle, then power strip, then equipment.
A GFCI receptacle or breaker works without a grounded circuit. This is the reason I have some in my house because I still have some ungrounded circuits around here. Old house. Been in this house almost 30 years.
GFCI does not require a ground to work.
Thats why electricians put them in houses without grounded circuits.

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What I ordered isn't good???

ForceTen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dawn Michele said:
What I ordered isn't good???
If it says its a GFCI, it is reset able and you see the "UL" stamp you are good to go. To be honest I have never seen one like you ordered. A very good idea as many do not have the ability to replace a regular receptacle with a GFCI receptacle.
Make sure you test it.
There is a test button on the front. This is designed for testing. It will interrupt power to the devices. Then you can reset it.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ForceTen said:
This was my concern. AC filters do not self prime as far as I can see. Kinda sucks since we cannot be home for every little power surge.
The receptacle on the switch is for a lamp or ceiling fan. Or for anything you want to turn on and off from the switch. Many homes and apts do not have a ceiling fixture/light.
So they switch the top of the receptacle. I think its one of the great ideas.

If you loose power, the AquaClear filter will run dry.
If a GFCI trips there is an issue.

You could use a UPS like used for computers for this exact issue. So the computer can ride through power glitches. Smooths out glitches and allows filter and equipment to continue to run during a power surge. Just for a minute or two.

Yes. Absolutely. GFCI comes in many differing forms. Breakers, receptacles and built in like your link.
Looks like a good choice.
I install GFCI receptacles. But anyway you can get GFCI. Get it.

Yes. GFCI receptacle, then power strip, then equipment.
A GFCI receptacle or breaker works without a grounded circuit. This is the reason I have some in my house because I still have some ungrounded circuits around here. Old house. Been in this house almost 30 years.
GFCI does not require a ground to work.
Thats why electricians put them in houses without grounded circuits.
AC filters have an extremely difficult time self priming but it isn't needed after a power surge. The media part of the filter wont empty all the way even if siphon is completely lost. And there's the other part. As long as water level is above the first tube from the top, it wont lose siphon and it wont need to prime anyway. I say this location because if mine is turned off, the siphon is lost where the extension piece attaches. If it's running, I can lower the water all the way to the top of my intake sponge.

Dawn, I dont know why you're asking that. Yours should be fine. Did you make sure it is UL rated or similar? That's about the only thing I can see that would make it not good maybe.

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm glad you're ok dawn but, my main concern is bigboy....? Lol,Just kidding, I'm glad you're both ok, really! Sorry you know my feelings on him. But without you, there'd be no him, so be careful please. Sorry my sick sense of humor.

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RHONDA PIMENTEL said:
I'm glad you're ok dawn but, my main concern is bigboy....? Lol,Just kidding, I'm glad you're both ok, really! Sorry you know my feelings on him. But without you, there'd be no him, so be careful please. Sorry my sick sense of humor.
Hi Rhonda!!! Hope your having a good 4th of July!!! It was scary!!! IM so glad the both of us are OK!!! Go check out the video's I did of him the other day!!! You will LOVE them!!! I LOVE your sense of humor!!! It's nice to see you have one!!! So many people don't!!!

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ty my dear and same to you. And I can't wait to see the videos! Ty.

ForceTen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wraithen said:
AC filters have an extremely difficult time self priming but it isn't needed after a power surge. The media part of the filter wont empty all the way even if siphon is completely lost. And there's the other part. As long as water level is above the first tube from the top, it wont lose siphon and it wont need to prime anyway. I say this location because if mine is turned off, the siphon is lost where the extension piece attaches. If it's running, I can lower the water all the way to the top of my intake sponge.

Dawn, I dont know why you're asking that. Yours should be fine. Did you make sure it is UL rated or similar? That's about the only thing I can see that would make it not good maybe.
You may be right. But whenever I turn off my AC filter, I have to add water to it for it to prime and start running again.
I guess I could try and see if it does prime itself. But I feel pretty confident it will not prime by itself.
I hope you are right and I am wrong.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ForceTen said:
You may be right. But whenever I turn off my AC filter, I have to add water to it for it to prime and start running again.
I guess I could try and see if it does prime itself. But I feel pretty confident it will not prime by itself.
I hope you are right and I am wrong.
As long as my tank isn't more then half drained, I've never lost siphon. When it does, I just make sure the tank is within a few inches of full and plug the filter back in. It takes a few minutes to fully clear the intake of air, but as long as there is still some water remaining in the motor area, it's not running dry so I dont worry about it.

ForceTen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wraithen said:
As long as my tank isn't more then half drained, I've never lost siphon. When it does, I just make sure the tank is within a few inches of full and plug the filter back in. It takes a few minutes to fully clear the intake of air, but as long as there is still some water remaining in the motor area, it's not running dry so I dont worry about it.
Like I said. I hope your right. I will find out sooner or later. I'll try it next water change. Thanks.

RHONDA PIMENTEL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dawn, best video yet. He is just too funny with the big rocks. He's seems to be getting smarter an smarter, just the intensity, love to know what's going on behind those eyes??? Lov lov, ty.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom