Electric Shock From Aqueon Pro Heater

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jmaldo said:
Yep, the little ZZZ is no fun. Glad you found the problem. How long has the heater been in use? Aqueon stands behind their products and will replace it free of charge. They just sent me a replacement (mine developed a rust spot) and even upgraded with a higher wattage. Called and had replacement in 2 days.
Yes, GFCI is a must. As mentioned water/electrical do not mix.
I have had these 2 heaters in my 125 for about 2 years. I had a problem with 2 other heaters in my other tank and they were great about replacing them.

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bought 2 GFCI outlet adapters form Amazon. Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate it!!!

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's worth mentioning, for the sake of all who may read this thread, that heaters are not the only culprits when it comes to stray voltage. It can happen from any electrical device you have in your tank - your filter, powerheads, and heater are the most common. A teeeeeeny crack in the wire sheathing on an old powerhead and ZAP. All aquarium equipment should be plugged into a GFCI protected outlet, and that is NOT the same thing as a surge protector.
Also DawnMichele I am sorry you got zapped, but also glad you noticed it before that heater really bit the dust and cooked your fish. I woke up one morning a few years ago and my reef tank was 88 degrees. The coral did not like it. Heater was broken and they fail "on". Yikes.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have GFCI on all water related outlets. I’m an electrician by trade . Ok Dawn I’m thinking your main problem is big boys redecorating . He’s hitting those heaters with the rocks . Best to upgrade to the titanium heaters. Most companies make them now. Glad you didn’t get hurt. GFCI’s are a must for all aquariums.

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
86 ssinit said:
I have GFCI on all water related outlets. I’m an electrician by trade . Ok Dawn I’m thinking your main problem is big boys redecorating . He’s hitting those heaters with the rocks . Best to upgrade to the titanium heaters. Most companies make them now. Glad you didn’t get hurt. GFCI’s are a must for all aquariums.
Hi Tom!!! Hope all is well. The GFCI's will be here Wednesday. IM really lucky!!! I definitely learned a lesson. I will lokk into those titanium heater's. Thanks for the suggestion. In the meantime IM going to position them differently so rock's won't hit them. IM also thinking about removing the rock's. I know he will have a fit!!! IM getting nervous with how big he is and how he can move those big rocks like there nothing!!! I don't need cracked glass!!

ForceTen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dawn Michele said:
IM going to get some GFCI's and plug the surge protector in to it. I have some Crocs. I think I will start wearing them when I do my water changes.
Are you going to install a GFCI receptacle yourself? If no, what product did you buy? Your best bet is a GFCI receptacle with a regular power strip plugged into the GFCI receptacle.
Don't buy cheap unlisted electrical products as they may not work as well as they claim they will work.
Make sure you see the (UL) sticker on the product.

86 ssinit said:
I am an electrician as well. When I brought up GFCI protection on this forum before, my suggestions were dismissed.
The reason I even brought it up was I had a very close call.
I had both my arms in the tank when the fluorescent light fixture fell into the water. Since I was on carpet and had on shoes I did not get hit.
But it did take out the ballast. So had I been without shoes on most likely a damp or even wet floor it is very possible I would not be here to write this.

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Scary. Glad you’re ok! My tanks are on surge protectors but no gfci (**gets on amazon) Also our gfci outlet in the house that controls most plugs went out, hubs tried replacing it but it kept tripping so he put in a normal one...I may die of this someday anyway. Lol. Hubs is not an electrician!!

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Glad you're ok Dawn. I'm pretty sure that as long as the gfci is working, it will trip before you even feel a thing.

Also, most newer code requires anti-tamper outlets, I believe they are called. These are kind of like a poor man's gfci. They trip whenever things dont add up in the circuit. I may have gotten the name wrong. I am not talking about these new pita outlets that have a "gate" for the prongs to go in. If you have these engineering failures, you cant just plug anything in. You have to do some interesting wiggling with the plug while trying to smash the plug in and not bend anything. I bought 2 once so I could have USB ports. I installed one. I absolutely refuse to install the other.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The electrical insulation often goes where the cable enters the body of the aquarium equipment. It bends a lot here and cracks in time. Its worth checking these safely with the lecky (electric) off.

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ForceTen said:
Are you going to install a GFCI receptacle yourself? If no, what product did you buy? Your best bet is a GFCI receptacle with a regular power strip plugged into the GFCI receptacle.
Don't buy cheap unlisted electrical products as they may not work as well as they claim they will work.
Make sure you see the (UL) sticker on the product.

I am an electrician as well. When I brought up GFCI protection on this forum before, my suggestions were dismissed.
The reason I even brought it up was I had a very close call.
I had both my arms in the tank when the fluorescent light fixture fell into the water. Since I was on carpet and had on shoes I did not get hit.
But it did take out the ballast. So had I been without shoes on most likely a damp or even wet floor it is very possible I would not be here to write this.
That was scary!!! IM so glad your OK!!! This is what I bought.

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Redshark1 said:
The electrical insulation often goes where the cable enters the body of the aquarium equipment. It bends a lot here and cracks in time. Its worth checking these safely with the lecky (electric) off.
Thank you!!!

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wraithen said:
Glad you're ok Dawn. I'm pretty sure that as long as the gfci is working, it will trip before you even feel a thing.

Also, most newer code requires anti-tamper outlets, I believe they are called. These are kind of like a poor man's gfci. They trip whenever things dont add up in the circuit. I may have gotten the name wrong. I am not talking about these new pita outlets that have a "gate" for the prongs to go in. If you have these engineering failures, you cant just plug anything in. You have to do some interesting wiggling with the plug while trying to smash the plug in and not bend anything. I bought 2 once so I could have USB ports. I installed one. I absolutely refuse to install the other.
Thank you!!!

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
WTFish? said:
Scary. Glad you’re ok! My tanks are on surge protectors but no gfci (**gets on amazon) Also our gfci outlet in the house that controls most plugs went out, hubs tried replacing it but it kept tripping so he put in a normal one...I may die of this someday anyway. Lol. Hubs is not an electrician!!
Thank you.I ordered some GFCI plugs from Amazon & Aqueon is sending me 2 new heaters. Most men think they are electricians!!! LOL!!! Stay safe!!!

ForceTen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
WTFish? said:
Not very smart to replace a GFCI with a regular receptacle. Its there for a reason. If it will not reset you have a fault somewhere.

Wraithen said:

Tamper resistant is what they are called and they have gates to prevent insertion in one side only. Think about the kid that sticks his toy or other object into a receptacle. This is why they are now mandatory in most all new construction. I agree they are a pain. But good quality ones are not hard to use.

You must be thinking "AFCI" receptacle. (arc fault circuit interrupter). Like GFCI, AFCI are now being required as well. In new construction it would be AFCI breakers not receptacles.
They provide zero personal protection. They protect indirectly. "ARC Fault" is how electrical fires can start.
So GFCI for your protection and AFCI for your homes protection from fire. Different and both required in most all new construction.

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ForceTen said:
Not very smart to replace a GFCI with a regular receptacle. Its there for a reason. If it will not reset you have a fault somewhere.

Tamper resistant is what they are called and they have gates to prevent insertion in one side only. Think about the kid that sticks his toy or other object into a receptacle. This is why they are now mandatory in most all new construction. I agree they are a pain. But good quality ones are not hard to use.

You must be thinking "AFCI" receptacle. (arc fault circuit interrupter). Like GFCI, AFCI are now being required as well. In new construction it would be AFCI breakers not receptacles.
They provide zero personal protection. They protect indirectly. "ARC Fault" is how electrical fires can start.
So GFCI for your protection and AFCI for your homes protection from fire. Different and both required in most all new construction.
Totally agree, my neighbor is an electrician, I should have him help the hubs out You know, so I don’t die.

Dechi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
After reading this thread I bought a GFCI outlet. I had been wanting to take care of it but always forgot. Now I’m trying to find someone to install it. :)

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
[QUOTE="This is what I bought. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for that info, even though the webpage says, with a hint of irony, "Currently (hoho!) Unavailable"!

Also, something which was bothering me was if it trips off for some reason and leaves your fish without filtration or heating?

Can someone with more knowledge address this issue please? Thanks.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ForceTen said:

Thanks for the correction. I guess my house is afci with gfci in strategic locations.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Redshark1 said:
[QUOTE="This is what I bought.
Thanks for that info, even though the webpage says, with a hint of irony, "Currently (hoho!) Unavailable"!

Also, something which was bothering me was if it trips off for some reason and leaves your fish without filtration or heating?

Can someone with more knowledge address this issue please? Thanks.[/QUOTE]A good setup is pretty reliable. I had 1 gfci that tripped a few times a year. It did this because I was kind of close to the limit, I assume, or my freezer has a minor fault somewhere. That said, you just monitor your temp, or the fact that your filter is suddenly silent. I have my heaters, a circulation pump and a filter on one outlet that is controlled by a light switch. I only notice that someone flipped the switch by seeing the heaters aren't displaying temps or my thermometer is showing a lower than normal temp. It's super handy for water changes and feeding times though. I'm not even sure why it exists. The top of the outlet is on a switch. The bottom of the same outlet is not. Works well for me though. Kind of worried I'm overloading the circuit but it's never tripped so I'm guessing I'm ok.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Redshark1 said:
[QUOTE="This is what I bought.

Can someone with more knowledge address this issue please? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The only way to reset them is the press the button. So yes if it goes out and your not there it will stay off till the button is pressed. I have a WiFi camera on my tanks which I check regularly. If they were off I would have someone go in and check. Not sure but I wouldn’t be surprised if there is some sort of WiFi one that is resettable.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom