Electric Shock From Aqueon Pro Heater

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi everyone!!! After water changes today for Big Boy I went to put my hand in his tank and got a shock!!! OMG!!!! I unplugged the heaters and put new ones in. That has NEVER happened to me before!!! Does anyone have their equipment hooked up to an Electrical Ground Fault Plug? IM thinking about getting one for the heaters.

Dechi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No but I’ve wanted to. Now I think I will. You’re supposed to unplug the heater before putting your hand in the tank but I never do. :-(

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dawn Michele said:
Hi everyone!!! After water changes today for Big Boy I went to put my hand in his tank and got a shock!!! OMG!!!! I unplugged the heaters and put new ones in. That has NEVER happened to me before!!! Does anyone have their equipment hooked up to an Electrical Ground Fault Plug? IM thinking about getting one for the heaters.
Hi, I would check for cracks in the heater. It will not hurt the fish but a crack could be causing this to happen.

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NC122606 said:
Hi, I would check for cracks in the heater. It will not hurt the fish but a crack could be causing this to happen.
It scared me. IM going to check. The good thing is they have lifetime warranties. IM going to get in touch with them tomorrow.

Dechi said:
No but I’ve wanted to. Now I think I will. You’re supposed to unplug the heater before putting your hand in the tank but I never do. :-(
I know your suppose to turn them off when doing a water change. I never heard of any other time.

Annie59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And that's the reason I ALWAYS unplug any thing in my tank lol. I've never been shocked but there is always that possibility of it happening. I've heard it happen to a number of people.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'll bet you were bare foot Dawn ???
I have received small grounding shocks before when bare foot that I don't get with shoes on ..
Eitherway glad you are ok and yes get Aqueon to send you a new one ..They are usually very good about this ..

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
coralbandit said:
I'll bet you were bare foot Dawn ???
I have received small grounding shocks before when bare foot that I don't get with shoes on ..
Eitherway glad you are ok and yes get Aqueon to send you a new one ..They are usually very good about this ..
I was. It NEVER Happened before. I decided to unplug the heaters and put my hand back in the tank and nothing happened & that's when I knew that was the problem. They are good about sending new ones. Do you have any electrical ground fault plugs for yours?

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use a GFCI-protected circuit for everything related to aquariums. Not just heaters, but lights, filters, etc. You can use a GFCI receptacle, a GFCI breaker or a GFCI-protected power bar. Water and electricity are a poor mix.

Did you actually get a shock, or just the "tickle" of current attempting to pass through your body? Either way, not fun; definitely a wake-up call for more caution in the future. Glad you're okay.

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jjohnwm said:
I use a GFCI-protected circuit for everything related to aquariums. Not just heaters, but lights, filters, etc. You can use a GFCI receptacle, a GFCI breaker or a GFCI-protected power bar. Water and electricity are a poor mix.

Did you actually get a shock, or just the "tickle" of current attempting to pass through your body? Either way, not fun; definitely a wake-up call for more caution in the future. Glad you're okay.
I got the tickle!!! I did NOT like it!!! IM definitely going to get something for the aquariums. I do not want to go through that again!!! Thank you for your help.

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dawn Michele said:
I got the tickle!!! I did NOT like it!!! IM definitely going to get something for the aquariums. I do not want to go through that again!!! Thank you for your help.
Did you end up checking for a crack?

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Annie59 said:
And that's the reason I ALWAYS unplug any thing in my tank lol. I've never been shocked but there is always that possibility of it happening. I've heard it happen to a number of people.
I will definitely unplug everything for now on!!!

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Even if you don't find GFCI hardware, you could just plug everything tank-related into a powerbar and then get into the habit of religiously switching it off when you do maintenance in the water. The problem with that is you tend to get a little lazy about it, and then one day you need to just grab a brown leaf or snail or whatever, and you figure "What are the odds?" and you leave the power on, reach in and ZAP!

Using a GFCI powerbar or receptacle is safer, and you can test it periodically (very simple, just push a button) to make sure it's working. If you get a ground fault (electricity attempting to pass through the water) the gizmo will turn off immediately, rather than allowing your tank to continue functioning as a trap waiting to sting you.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use power strips with surge protectors but everyone should know you going to get zapped good before they trip !
You probably would not get shocked again with same heater if you had shoes on ..Ask me how I know that one !
I don't wander around the fish room bare foot much anymore !

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NC122606 said:
Did you end up checking for a crack?
I just checked. There is a crack at the bottom of one of the heaters. Thank you. I never would have thought about it getting a crack.

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
coralbandit said:
I use power strips with surge protectors but everyone should know you going to get zapped good before they trip !
You probably would not get shocked again with same heater if you had shoes on ..Ask me how I know that one !
I don't wander around the fish room bare foot much anymore !
I use surge protectors also. IM going to get a GFCI plug for the equipment also.

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Surge protectors aren't designed for personal safety; they're meant to protect sensitive equipment from sudden increases (surges) in power. GFCI's are a life-safety device; they trip in a tiny fraction of a second; no injury occurs and often nothing is felt at all.

You should also get a pair of fish-room Crocs. Good insulators!

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yep, the little ZZZ is no fun. Glad you found the problem. How long has the heater been in use? Aqueon stands behind their products and will replace it free of charge. They just sent me a replacement (mine developed a rust spot) and even upgraded with a higher wattage. Called and had replacement in 2 days.
Yes, GFCI is a must. As mentioned water/electrical do not mix.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got this at Lowe's, which I've been using for at least a couples years now. You can't see it, but it has up to 5 plug sockets.
20190630_204904.jpg

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jjohnwm said:
Surge protectors aren't designed for personal safety; they're meant to protect sensitive equipment from sudden increases (surges) in power. GFCI's are a life-safety device; they trip in a tiny fraction of a second; no injury occurs and often nothing is felt at all.

You should also get a pair of fish-room Crocs. Good insulators!
IM going to get some GFCI's and plug the surge protector in to it. I have some Crocs. I think I will start wearing them when I do my water changes.

Dawn Michele

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I saw some of those on Amazon. IM going to get some. Thank you.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom