Electric current meters for testing conductivity of your tank water

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by cjjamnik30, Jul 10, 2015.

1. cjjamnik30New MemberMember

hello everyone anyone know of a good reputable place to purchase a ec meter to test water conductivity in your aquarium and if so what brand do you recommend

2. Jsigmo

JsigmoWell Known MemberMember

How fancy does it need to be? And do you need to monitor it continuously, or will this be for occasional use?

I found a fairly high dollar unit used on eBay that works well for me when I need high accuracy, but I also bought a very cheap one from Amazon mainly to see how it would be, and it's surprisingly decent.

Conductivity is fairly easy to measure, and the probes can be quite rugged and long lasting without needing to be terribly expensive.

3. OP
    OP
    c

cjjamnik30New MemberMember

just looking for a one to read the conductivity for when testing parameters

4. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Just curious, what is the purpose of measuring conductivity?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Jsigmo

JsigmoWell Known MemberMember

Conductivity bears some relationship with total dissolved solids.

Conductivity is often used as a fast, easy way to measure (approximately) TDS without the need to perform a proper gravimetric analysis (which requires a four place balance, a special oven, etc.).

It can be reasonably accurate if you know what the dissolved solids will be composed of.

It's also frequently used as a way of checking how well a reverse osmosis or deionizing system is working.

Conductivity is fairly easy to measure, and the probes are usually robust and long-lasting. Not much can go wrong with them. The instrument will usually also measure temperature, too, since you need that information to correct the conductivity reading back to standard temperature.

You can get an inexpensive conductivity meter for around ten bucks, and it will give you a reading almost instantly. And you can get in-line probes to continuously monitor conductivity. Fancy systems can be more expensive, of course.

Here's the unit I got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MRLMG0M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

For less than $9, and with free prime shipping, it was a no-brainer to just try it out. It seems to work just fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice