Electric Blues Help

1. Stum

Stum Valued Member Member

hey Guys is there anything I can try doing I have 4 electric blue rams and 1 of them is a male. But the females don’t seem to care to breed with him. He shows interest in them some days and others he chases them. 2 of the electric blue females have layed eggs so far and the male German ram in my tank has fertilized both sets of eggs. I even took the gbr out of the tank and into another tank while the one electric ram was fat. The first day they were together and she would clean a spot here and there and then nothing happened. So I brought the gbr back into the tank and she instantly started cleaning a rock off again. It’s frustrating because I wanna get some electric blue fry but it’s not seeming to happen any help would be great in what to do next. I have another tank hats empty all set up as well.

2. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Do you have the electric blues and gbrs in the same tank? If so I'd suggest separating them...
    How long have you had the electric blues? And how old do you reckon they are?

3. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

And where are your pics?

4. coralbandit

coralbandit Well Known Member Member

Feed blood worms [frozen] and change water.
    After they lay eggs you should take them and artificially hatch.

5. OP
    OP
    Stum

Ehh I’m guessing they’re a year old just guessing I bought them so not exact. Yes they’re in the same tank and the gbr is prolly a year and a half

What would you like pictures of

6. Gypsy13

Your electric blues! I can’t wait for hubby to describe them to me. I know I could google them but it’s just not the same. We’re like family on fishlore and I want to hear about family pics.

7. OP
    OP
    Stum

Haha ok just checking

Attached Files:

8. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

Nice. Best looking rams I've seen. Another entry on the list of things I wish I could have.

9. OP
    OP
    Stum

Hey thanks I really appreciate it

10. Gypsy13

Thank you! Sound absolutely gorgeous!

11. kayla.s

So the reason I suggest separating them is because you usually have an alpha male (which is your gbr male that's spawning with the females) and if you've introduced a new male he probably won't try spawn with any one in fear of the other male. Remember these aren't different species of fish and the gbrs will spawn with the ebrs if you let them. So rather try separating them if possible.

12. OP
    OP
    Stum

That’s what I will do and that’s really good advice tho is it to late since they both spawned with the gbr already

13. kayla.s

I haven't had problems getting females to spawn with a different male when the original male has been removed. I'm sure it'll work out with them :)

14. OP
    OP
    Stum

Good I’ll just keep flooding their water with hormone water from my other tanks when they lay eggs and force them to spawn lol

Would you put bothe females in with the ebr or would you just put one and see if they pair ?

15. kayla.s

Hmm no I wouldn't suggest mixing water from other tanks in there... and the 1 or 2 thing is up to you really :) but whatever you try just leave it that way for a week or two, unless something happens and you need to remove/add fish

16. OP
    OP
    Stum

Ok so I have that other tank set up and I had the gbr and the ebr in that tank which is a 30 gallon for 3 days then removed them. I have a sponge filter in the tank and I also dumped some fluval Cycle in the tank everything checks good but the nitrite level is just a shade above normal. What causes this and what should I do to straighten it out?

17. kayla.s

Okay you've kinda lost me here, so you had them in a 30g previously and now you've set up a second tank to move the ebrs to? Okay I would suggest that either you create yourself an instant cycle by taking some of the media from the original filter and adding it to the new filter that would be going on the new tank.

18. OP
    OP
    Stum

Yea I had a couple fish in this 30 gallon for about 2 days then removed them. Now I put the ends in that tank and the nitrite is a little high. I dumped in some fluval cycle wonder if I give it a few days. I’m using a sponge filter
    I have the make ebr and the 2 females in the 30 gallon tank right now. Seems like the male chases them around a lot. But seems to favor 1 female more than the other and hangs around her more but she don’t seem interested in him