"electric Blue X Gold" Ram Cichlids, Part 2

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
remember this guy?

well I prematurely named him Spartacus, I now realize I was mistaken, I should've named him Oedipus. So I had a hiccup in my plan. I was originally going to separate the parents; pair son to mother and father to daughter. however, I accidently killed the gold male father (Prince Gold 100% gold) when he jumped out of the holding cup and under the table, took a while to finally grab him but alas, he succumbed to the stress. the only silver lining was that his job in the genetic line was done anyway for my breeding project.

I digress; so Oedipus (1/2Gold x 1/2EB) spawned in mid May is now 5 months old and sexually mature. I put back in with his mother (Cinderella 100% EB) and they produced eggs after being together for only several days. I am excited to see how these fry will look.

in another few months we shall the results of this batch. also I noticed a stark contrast in the sexual dimorph. Oedipus's sister, Ismene, has normal effeminate round short finnage, while Oedipus himself looks like he is a longfin/butterfly, very masculine finnage.
My inquiry is, do females express the butterfly gene strongly or is it gender specific; spotting difference between the boys from the girls seems incredibly easy.

Oedipus changes colors from time to time, in these pics he doesn't show the
EB gene very well, I will update with more pics when I can catch him in fully display and coloration.

here is the link to Part 1 for those who want to catch up; 10 Gallon Tank - "electric Blue X Gold" Ram Cichlids, Part 1

Kodiak Aquatics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so excited for this

I can't see the photo..

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
so there was a hiccup in my plans, when dealing with live animals this bound to happen, I was over eager. anyhow, the male (Oedipus) wasn't a very good dad initially, for his first batch he did not succeed and the female (Cinderella, 2inch) was depressed because of separation anxiety from her previous mate (Prince Gold, 3inch & R.I.P.), even though Oedipus (3.5inch) is quite fit, he lacks the experience and patience, always top dog and no humility. I didn't want him harassing her to death cuz now he was trying to force her to mate and her belly was sunken. not good. so I chucked him into my main angel/discus community tank with two smaller male rams already in there. this allowed Cinderella to recover, rest, and eat live tubifex worms to her hearts content, unmolested. her recovery was slow and she was not showing any vigor. my breeding project stalled for about a month now I began searching for another female thinking Cinderella needs to be retired,

after trolling 3 of my local petcos and the big fish retailer for weeks and only finding the same trash quality fish over and over expecting new stuff to come in and hopefully find a winner, alas, even on shipment day, a mislabeled order yields EB acaras mistaken for rams, disappointing. then I stumble across the perfect specimen, a single EB ram, in some hole in the wall LFS where I would least expect to find an EB female of such spectacular quality. I snatch up this beautiful perfectly shaped flawless specimen for 13$. no where to put her I toss her into Cinderella's tank and risk it/since my hospital tank was taken over by a goldfish dumped on me, but I digress. anyhow Cinderella immediately gets territorial. seeing this behavior I toss in two of Cinderella's daughters as well, one matching her size and one matching the new beauty. after a week I removed the big daughter(Wiley) and put her in the Jack Dempsey tank, since I wanted to balance the balance the power in the sorority where Cinderella was dominant over the new EB and her smaller daughter(Xtra). with the 10 gallon tank balanced Cinderella regained her bulging belly and healthy appetite. I toss the new EB female (unnamed as of yet) into the Angel/Discus community and have her pair with my second favorite male (unnamed also) and put Oedipus back with his mother, the third male (Runtlestilkskin) and the small female(Xtra) was moved to the Jack Dempsey tank and Runt' starting mating with Wiley, staking out a piece of 3x5 slate and broken clay pot.

once I get rid of the fancy goldfish, I will turn that former 10 gallon hosp tank into a green jungle refuge just like Cinderella's 10 gallon. and have two tanks with EB/Gold male with an EB female each.

help me pick name for my second pair of fish

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sounds like an interesting project! Good luck how often do you find yours spawn?

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tank 1 with Oedipus and his mother Cindrella is slow progress. They don't have parenting MOJO, eggs routinely but no fry, cinderella maybe having fertility issues and the twos behavior does not indicate a strong couple bond. However in Tank 2 with ''Spartacus''(oedipus's lil brother), is strongly bonded to a non related EB female''Sura' , and just produced loads of very healthy fry. Hopefully I can get some pure EBs out this batch. Will load pics soon

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom