Electric Blue Rams

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Emze17, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Emze17

Emze17Valued MemberMember

Hi,

For a few months I have been eyeing up Electric Blue Rams that are in stock at my LFS. As I've no experience with them I decided against stocking them in my 26 gallon. However I'll never gain the experience unless I try. That said, I'm not and won't just go throwing them in...

I understand these aren't considered a beginner fish, and while they're not difficult to care for, they're not easy either.

Currently I have a 26gallon which is currently home to 9 neon tetras, 9 panda corydora (4 of them rather small) and 1 male BN plec.

My understanding from what i've read up is that Rams should be OK with Corys and the BN but the tetras are a no no - is this correct?

Also I understand that my tank is fully stocked as is stands, but a friend of mine has offered to take in my neons (she's a 30g which is home to neons only).

Can a Rams water temperature and living conditions match that of the Corys and BN? The tank is 25celcius and has fast moving water.

Without the neons I believe I should be able to stock a Ram or 2....?

Should I get 2 Rams (or more for them to pair up) or would 1 on it's own be OK? I ask this as I've read that if I happen to get 2 males this could cause all sorts of problems.

All advice/suggestions/experience is appreciated.

Thank you all :)

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

EBRs need warmer temps than panda cories and neon tetras. I would go with bolivian rams instead.

4. tfreema

tfreemaFishlore VIPMember

Ha! I had a 20 long QT tank set up with new kuhli's that were supposed to go into my 30g to beef up that school. Well....... I came across the most beautiful small pair of EBRs and walked around the lfs forever telling myself "no impulse buys, no impulse buys" lol. Needless to say I did not listen and have turned the QT into a main tank that now has the most beautiful EBRs and 6 kuhli loaches. I am looking for a small tetra to add after I finish stocking a few other tanks.

They are gorgeous fish and this is why I have MTS so bad. If I want it and it doesn't fit in one of my current tanks, I get another one going. Sadly, I am out of room so that game is over.

It is tough to resist a fish like this
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1465615549.930788.jpg

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1465615579.677644.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice