Question Electric Blue Ram Cichlid Care/possible Ich

Lucyn

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I decided to get this guy yesterday because my local fish store is Petco, which I'm usually forced to go to because there's no where else to get fish within 40 minutes away and it was a really cool fish that they rarely ever own. I noticed after acclimation he's doing just fine, hiding a lot but I heard that's very normal. I tried feeding him yesterday, something with larvae and he wouldn't eat even if it was right next to him. He doesn't appear to be sick as of now, he actually looks very healthy, just no appetite. If this problem persists, what should I try and do to get him to eat? I would hate to see him starve, I heard about the Garlic thing but is there any other tricks than that and turning off the lights? I've also heard that's one of the hardest parts of keeping them, their appetite after acclimation, any help or advise would be appreciated. This is my first time owning a Cichlid of any kind so, thank you! He has 2 or 3 little white dots on his rear fin but he's not twitching or flashing at all, no clamped fins, he is reclusive but that's normal behavior for these guys. I'm pretty sure they're just scratches/scar tissue, plus his poop was brown. Maybe it is ich and I should move him immediately?

Here's a picture of it in 001.
It's also only visible in certain lighting, which is odd. If you look at 002, it's not visible, but 003 it is?

UPDATE:
I've moved her into QT just to be safe, until I get further opinions.

Attachments

LeviS

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
22DD6070-B1C6-4FAD-9FAA-9535F09E5643.jpeg
It’s really hard to see the pics on my end, they are pretty small and when zoom in it’s just a blur. This is one of my rams that had ick if you see the little white dots on the tail.
My rams are supposed to be German blue rams but I’m not sure what color morph they really are as one seems gold and others are darker. They are odd about eating, could always try frozen bloodworms.

OP
Lucyn

Lucyn

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
LeviS said:
22DD6070-B1C6-4FAD-9FAA-9535F09E5643.jpeg
It’s really hard to see the pics on my end, they are pretty small and when zoom in it’s just a blur. This is one of my rams that had ick if you see the little white dots on the tail.
My rams are supposed to be German blue rams but I’m not sure what color morph they really are as one seems gold and others are darker. They are odd about eating, could always try frozen bloodworms.
It's only about 2-3 spots on her rear fin, which is really odd to me. I moved her just in case. If you look at that first picture, it gets a good glimpse of them, I don't want to start treating though if it's nothing. I'll keep an eye on her to see if it's anything. I'll try feeding her bloodworms tonight and see if she'll eat, if not, she may definitely be sick. Maybe it's a very minor case, that's what I'm thinking?

LeviS

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It looks like it might be, maybe others will chime in.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Need the pics to be bigger to see anything .
First picture shows a good looking EBR and is larger then #2 & #3.
I can see the spots in that pic but may be anything on the tale.
What temp is tank.Rams do not do well kept under 80 f as minimum.

OP
Lucyn

Lucyn

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
coralbandit said:
Need the pics to be bigger to see anything .
First picture shows a good looking EBR and is larger then #2 & #3.
I can see the spots in that pic but may be anything on the tale.
What temp is tank.Rams do not do well kept under 80 f as minimum.
Sorry it’s hard to get a good picture, I always get near her and she flies away lol. But they’re not like grains of salt, they’re like 2-3 pellet food size white dots. It doesn’t seem like scaring either because one of them is on the meat of the fish as well, or pretty close to it. She’s being kept at 80.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Look into lymphocystis .
Not all the spots are massive red things .Often they are small white spots .
I am a bit of a ram guy and believe most have heard of DGI[Dwarf GouramI Iridovirus ] but few know that lympho is Ram iridovirus .
Not usually fatal and specifically in rams not usually much more of an issue then you see now IMO.
I might turn the heat up a little and see if that helps . There are those who think all rams should be kept at 86 minimum ! IMO 82-84 is sweet. There is a line with rams and heat where you are literally just speeding up their whole life cycle ..
Love Maine ! What part are you in ?

OP
Lucyn

Lucyn

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
coralbandit said:
Look into lymphocystis .
Not all the spots are massive red things .Often they are small white spots .
I am a bit of a ram guy and believe most have heard of DGI[Dwarf GouramI Iridovirus ] but few know that lympho is Ram iridovirus .
Not usually fatal and specifically in rams not usually much more of an issue then you see now IMO.
I might turn the heat up a little and see if that helps . There are those who think all rams should be kept at 86 minimum ! IMO 82-84 is sweet. There is a line with rams and heat where you are literally just speeding up their whole life cycle ..
Love Maine ! What part are you in ?
Yeah I usually like to keep my tanks at 80 because it’s a community tank filled with varied kinds of fish so, kinda a happy neutral spot for all the ones I have. I put him in QT today and put the temp to 82 in case it’s anything, might jam it up to 84 depending on weather he’s better or not by the morning and if he eats tonight. He seemed really healthy imo. Possibly dose him with salt and that could possibly help? And yeah Maine is pretty cool I live in Auburn, right next to stinky Lewiston haha. Thanks for the advise

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No to the salt .
Not a good option for rams .
There is another possibility for the spots .
Calcification if they happen to be on the rays of the fins .
This IMO is from hard water .
Rams like it warm and soft . Salt would act as a gh[hardness] increaser.
Do you know about your water hardness?
My sister lives in York and the whole family is Wells regulars our whole lifes [53 years for me !] Bought my Harley from Big Moose one year on vacation ! Great mileage with such a short riding season !

OP
Lucyn

Lucyn

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
coralbandit said:
No to the salt .
Not a good option for rams .
There is another possibility for the spots .
Calcification if they happen to be on the rays of the fins .
This IMO is from hard water .
Rams like it warm and soft . Salt would act as a gh[hardness] increaser.
Do you know about your water hardness?
My sister lives in York and the whole family is Wells regulars our whole lifes [53 years for me !] Bought my Harley from Big Moose one year on vacation ! Great mileage with such a short riding season !
I don’t know my exact hardiness but I know it’s around the moderate level. So salt is a no go, thinking about a little water change is all I can do for him then for now? And there’s one spot at the very base of his rear fin and I think one is along the rays I’m not too positive on that. And that’s awesome! Fair share of bikers up her let me tell you lol

New Threads